• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is this a good idea to use inline styles for the topic which is created using the template of attached style sheet

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2007 Dec 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Using Inline Styles, its mentioned that inline styles (using the toolbar or the format menu) can be used whenever we want but it overrides style sheets, that’s the part should I be concerned of ?

All my topics are created using the template of attached style sheet and if I use numbered list from the toolbar for my topic then is it going to detach style sheet from the topic.

Is this the way to do it or is there any better way to format the topic using the toolbar especially when the topic is created using the template of attached style sheet.

Your response is greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole point of CSS is to make sure that you can easily make changes to large projects with relative ease.

If you have to use the tool bar to override your styles, do it with care as when it comes time to update your help file, it can become a nightmare.

I find that if you are constantly adding the same overrides over and over again, just create a style that will do this for you.

I have found myself going back in the middle of my project to add styles to the style sheet, then replace the overrides with the new style. (this can be time consuming initially, but updating the project later becomes a real breeze).

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi anubisascends,

Thanks for the reply; you have cleared all my doubts.

Sangeeta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 14, 2007 Dec 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Not all toolbar functions override styles in a style sheet.

If you select a word or phrase that has a Normal style and click the Bold button, then you have instituted an inline style.

If you select several paragraphs and click the Numbered List button, you are not applying an inline style. Rather, you are instructing RH to create an OL list with several LI items. The actual style used for that list (and list items) will follow the style for OL in your style sheet, or use the HTML default if there is none.

You can also create "interim" styling by adding some CSS styles in individual topics (within the HEAD section).

Remember, CSS means Cascading Style Sheets. That is,

Topic inline styles override:
Topic HEAD styles, which override:
External style sheet styles.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp