Expand my Community achievements bar.

allowing the user to save formed pdf in reader and email later

Former Community Member
I called customer services who said I could buy Acrobat 8 Pro with LiveCycle Designer and create pdf's with forms that the user can download and complete, saving the pdf to their local machine and email it in.

I can`t find how to enable this in Designer and I have just read on a site that this is only limited to 500 anyway. It is for our job aplication forms so we would reach this pretty quickly.

Was the guy on the phone wrong and do we also need these reader extension things?

How much does this cost if we need it as I cannot find a price on the adobe site?
11 Replies

Former Community Member
So my company is using Adobe Reader Extensions, Adobe Form Server, and Designer to accomplish almost the same thing.

We are using Form Server to render the templates that we build in Designer. We then use Adobe Reader extensions to apply the usage rights so that a user can save locally to their desktop and make changes in reader.

I don't know about your setup, but we have no control over our end-users desktop save the fact they can get Adobe Reader for free from adobe.com, so for our solution we had to user Form Server, Reader Extenstions, and Designer as described above.

I'm in development at a Fortune 500, so I have no idea how much the products themselves cost. Good luck buddy.

Former Community Member
Lifecycle reader extensions is very expensive, you pay according to the number of forms you need to produce.

Carl

Former Community Member
I was given the same info from a sales rep. We want users to be able to save a timesheet in pdf to try to save a few trees. We have around 100 staff so I think the 500 limit is fine for us, since it is a new document every two weeks. Now if someone could just tell me how to add a damn save button to a pdf that will work when they are veiwing in reader I just might think that the sales person was not full of bull. I paid for an upgrade from 7 to 8 because the person said you could do it with 8 but not 7. maybe we were wrong for listening to someone who is in sales, they are after all the second oldest profession.

Level 7
If people have questions about how to use Acrobat or Designer - you

might find more people to help in the Acrobat or LiveCycle Designer

forums.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
We recently solved this issue by clicking on advanced and choosing:

enable usage rights in adobe reader

now our forms can be saved by using reader and choosing file: save as:

Former Community Member
Thanks for the update Mike, much appreciated. As usual at my place I haven`t yet been provided with the pdf to add the form to but will definately give it a try when it comes through.

Level 7
>How do I do this? please let me know.

Did you read the replies?

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
OMFH! Thank you so much for the solution I so desperately needed and spent so many hours trying to figure out then so much more time looking for here. How completely unintuitive and frustrating to not be able to create a form in Live Cycle Designer 8 that can be filled out *AND SAVED* from Reader - rather you have to open the finished PDF in Acrobat Pro and use an *advanced* feature to add user rights so the file can be saved from Reader. How difficult would it have been, and how much frustration would it have saved so many end users, for this to have been included as a choice in LCD when creating the form??? After all, it's part of the same software package and probably even the same code base.

Adobe... the new Microsoft.

Former Community Member
I have upgraded to Acrobat 9 Pro and added a form onto a current pdf using the wizard they have now then clicked Advanced > Extend features in Adobe Reader.

THis allows the user to save the form in Reader but only once, they cannot save then come back to finish it off later. If they save the open again it says

This document contained certain rights to enable special features in Adobe Reader. This document has been changed since it was created and these rights are no longer valid.

The form is now uneditable.

Does anyone know if there is anotyher step I need to complate in v9 to enable multiple editing sessions?

Former Community Member
Hey David. They will just have to rename it when they hit save as.