Expand my Community achievements bar.

Rending a form guide

Former Community Member
Hi all,

I am currently attempting to use the API Quick Start to load a form guide. I am able to load the guide itself without any issue. However, I cannot populate it with data from the PDF it's attached to, the form guide appears empty.

My understanding is that I need to pass the data I want in the InputData parameter of the renderFormGuide function. I have attempted to pass everything from a PDF file, to an xml file to just an xml string.

For example:

InputStream input_stream = new FileInputStream("c:\\data\\test.xml");

Document oInputData = new Document(input_stream);

I know this file contains valid xml as it successfully fills the PDF using XPAAJ, but it will still leave the form guide blank.

This was the only part of the quick start I changed, so perhaps there is another option somewhere that I cannot find. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Daniel
6 Replies

Level 10
Can you test your XML with Form Designer.

Open your form in Designer, then go under File/Forms Properties.

Open the Preview tab and specify your xml file as the data file.

Then do a PDF Preview and see if it populates properly.

XPAAJ is not something we support anymore, so you need to make sure you xml file works when using LiveCycle products.

Jasmin

Former Community Member
Thanks for the response. I wasn't aware that XPAAJ isn't supported anymore. In any case it doesn't help my situation.

I attempted what you asked me to do and it appears that the XML file loads fine in the preview.

When I generate some preview data, it also appears fine in the pdf preview, but not on the rendered form guide.

Any other advice? Like I said, I am using the API quick start.

Cheers,

Daniel

Level 10
I'm not sure which quick start you're following. On the web site, I can only find quick start for workbench, not one using the API.

Could you post the link for it.

Thanks,

Jasmin

Former Community Member
In the Form Guide Quick Start - an empty data source is used. That is, the Form Guide is not being populated with data. However, i am not aware of any issues with populating a form guide with data prior to rendering it.

Jasmin - all API quick starts are included in the SDK Help. Here is the URL To the Form Guide API QS:

http://livedocs.adobe.com/livecycle/es/sdkHelp/programmer/sdkHelp/quickStarts_Forms.11.6.html

Level 10
I tried your code with a sample xdp that I have with data and it worked.

I'm using the 8.0.1 GM release though.

Can you replicate it with another very simple xdp with a data file generated for it?

Jasmin

Former Community Member
Thanks for the assistance so far, but it has proven fruitless.

I created a simple form, with only one field and generated preview data for it. But once again it was not populated in the form guide. I have put a logger entry in the code to make sure the XML was being loaded, and it is.

I am testing on the LC Preview as we haven't received any GM copy, perhaps I will wait for the GM release and try there.