Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Initiate Workflow by modifying form permissions

Former Community Member
I'm a newbie to LC Workbench. I have used the standard mortgage app to model a process using my own pdf. My pdf in standalone alows for digital signatures and document attachments. However, these are disabled in Workflow 8.0.2. I have managed to use reader extensions to write the output from the flow to disk with the proper permissions enabked, but how do I initiate my workflow to do the same?
20 Replies

Former Community Member
I don't quite understand your situation. Do you have a process that adds the usage rights to a PDF, but don't know how to invoke it? Or are you asking how to create the process?

Former Community Member
I have modelled a process after the Mortgage app. My process takes a pdf and uses the setValue to populate a couple of variables from the xfaform. Depending on those values it routes to different users. Eventually those users write the pdf to disk. All works well, except, my pdf also has digital signatures and document attachments. So, I now invoke the xfaVariable using Advanced settings that calls RE.

The RE works well and my process has the proper rights allowing me to attach documents and sign the document, however the Complete button and the route name button no longer show in my process and my attachments and signed fields are no longer populated.

I'm new to this game, but have yet to figure out how to get this going.

Former Community Member
If I understand you correctly, you are starting with an XFA form and are using a modified renderer to render a PDF with RE. If your route names and complete button are not showing up then that means that you are not adding the Form Bridge code correctly. By default the renderer will do this (assuming that you are using an XDP to start with).

the other thing that can be happening is that you are saving a PDF out of Designer and using a docForm variable to hold that info. If that is the case then you must add the previously mentioned Form Bridge code to the form yourself as well as workflow fields to hold the workflow status info. These are held in two xfo objects in the Object Library (Custom Tab) in Designer. The workflow fields object is called Process Fields and the Form Bridge code is called Form Bridge. Simply drag these two objects onto your form. Now you must modify the submit button to send the entire PDF and not only the XML data. Look in the hierarchy view and locate the object called FSSUBMIT_. Now look at the object palette (Submit tab) and change the Submit As drop down to PDF. If this is the issue then that should do the trick.

Former Community Member
Paul,

You are correct, I am using a modified renderer (taken from the Apply Rights example you have provided). I have added the Form Bridge code to my form, and to the modified rendered (prior to apply rights) and I'm still not getting the Complete buttons displayed. I'm starting with a pdf, not xdp.

I already had the process fields in my pdf, I added the Form Bridge and modified the FSSUBMIT_, to no avail.

I should mention I have inherited the form and there is a LOT of javascript in there.

Former Community Member
The javascript is not the problem. I am using a basic xdp with only one field plus the signed field and it still is not working, s clearly I'm missing something fundamental to the approach.

Former Community Member
OK ...so your first renderer turning your XDP into a PDF or are you saving a PDF out of Designer?

Former Community Member
I have 2 scenarios: the first is using a pdf that I inherited (think it was created using an older version of designer). This form is causing me all kinds of grief at every step of the way. Let's forget about that one for now.

The second scenario uses a pdf that I created using Designer. It has only the Process Fields, Form Bridge, Numeric Field, and a signature field.

I have a variable that grabs the integer value from an xfaForm expression and another that holds the docForm. My first task sets the integer value and forwards to one of two assignTask users depending on the value (I should note that I am displaying the form at task start using the RE as stated above - and it works perfectly :). The routing is working fine (or appears to be) and the assigned user not sees the pdf with the right permissions and the signed field and attachments. However, the route buttons are not showing up so the user is dead in the water.

In the first scenario when I route to the next user, the system just sits there waiting to display the form, so obviously there's something in the form that it doesn't like.

Former Community Member
So if this was using XDPs then we are able to inject the route names and submit URLs into the form before the form is turned into a PDF. In your case (once it is a PDF) I can no longer inject that information into the form (it would break the Rights)....as well as the signature (assuming you signed it). So it is up to you the designer to add the routes that you want to show to the user as well as the submit URL. The submit URL is: http://servername:port/workspace-server/submit

If you stick with XDP and allow the renderer to add this information dynamically when the PDF is created all of this goes away. For this reason we usually wait until the last step possible to add the signature as this locks everything down.

Former Community Member
I've tried using an xdp and I still only end up with the Submit button embedded in the document, nit buttons representing the routes.

Former Community Member
What you are trying to do is straight forward ...lets start with a clean slate and build a simple form and a simple process and see if we can get that working. Then we can expand it to get to what you want. So lets start with a simple form and a simple two step process and make sure all works.

Former Community Member
That's kind of where I was at with scenario 2. Very simple form and process. Without going through RE, the process works as expected with routes showing up as buttons.

Former Community Member
Ok so now add the RE to your Renderer and see where we are?

Former Community Member
Created a simple form and saved it as simple.pdf. Had 1 field plus process fields. Process has a setValue routing to assignTask followed by another route. Without RE, the Complete button shows up as does the name of the next route in my process. With RE, I'm back to only the embedded Submit button.

I'm using a xfaForm variable for this test, so my Signature got dropped when the assignTask happened, but that was expected.

Former Community Member
What RE rights are you setting? I want to try the same thing here.

Former Community Member
I have checked everything but Barcode and Draft.

Former Community Member
Just tried it and it worked fine. Can you give me an email address and I will export my process and send it to you so you can try it.

I did see the issue if I did not have a submit button on my form. Once I added a button of type submit .....all actions appeared.

Former Community Member
My e-mail is stewartgmail-home@yahoo.ca, thanks Paul.

Former Community Member
Following a test of the app received from Paul, we realized a Reader 8 dependency on populating chrome buttons.

Level 9
You may want to try removing the Form Augmenter step in the modified render process, and instead explicitly adding the Form Bridge (I think you've already done this) to your form. I believe we hit this problem a while back, and this fixes it.

Howard

http://www.avoka.com