Expand my Community achievements bar.

Difference between Job and Process

Former Community Member
Hi @ all

I try to understand how processes are handled by LC. I found in the database the 2 tables tb_job_instance and tb_process_instance. I also figured out, that every call to a process made in the workbench gets an entry in the tb_process_instance, but not all the times in tb_job_instance. I was not able to figure out a rule under which circumstances an entry in the tb_job_instance is generated and when not. So i wonder; what is the difference between a job and a process??

I also recognised that the JobManager (com.adobe.idp.jobmanager.client.JobManager) is available from inside a LC component (that means from inside the AppServer), but the ProcessManager (com.adobe.idp.workflow.client. ProcessManager) not. The ProcessManager library seems to be available from client side only. Why? Isn't it possible to terminate processes from inside a component?

Hope to get some help here!

Greez Simon
3 Replies

Level 10
You'll get a job instance only from Long Lived processes. Long Lived process are asynchronous processes, so you get a job to check the status of the process at a later point.

Short Lived processes run and return the result immediately. They are synchronous, so there is no need for a job manager.

Jasmin

Former Community Member
Here's some more information from the Workbench Help about long-lived and short-lived processes: http://livedocs.adobe.com/livecycle/8.2/wb_help/000135.html

scott

Former Community Member
Hi Jasmine and Scott

ok, now is see. It's the combination of long-lived process and an asynchronous call of it. If it's called synchronous, there is no job created just a process.

Thank you very much!

Simon