Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Context-sensitive Help Test Tool trouble

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2007 Nov 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm working on a RoboHelp 6 WebHelp project (using Internet Explorer 6, on a PC running on Windows XP, Service Pack 2) and am attempting to create context-sensitive Help for a server-based application.

I got a list of Map IDs from the developer, created a Map file, mapped (at least I think I this was successful) the Help project Map IDs and Map #. Compiled the WebHelp. Launched the CSH Text tool. Selected to test the project locally (Offline), entered the start (default) topic file name, selected the "<ProjectName>.h" Map File, selected a Map Number, and clicked on Show Help. An hourglass appeared briefly, then nothing. That was not what I expected.

I can print a Map IDs report for the project., and none of the icons on the Edit Map IDs dialog box are yellow. Is there something else to load? Some place else to look? Another path to specify?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 04, 2007 Dec 04, 2007
quote:

Originally posted by: bbleft
Evidently for the CSH Test Tool to work, the "file" entered in the text box needs to be the START FILE and not the Default Topic, correct?

This is correct. It refers to the physical location of your webhelp output but includes the start file (e.g. projectname.htm).
quote:

Also, over the course of this project, I may have merged topics and then deleted the start file since I do not see it in the topics list. That being the

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2007 Dec 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you'll find this link helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2007 Dec 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum,

Thank you for pointing me to Peter's Web site. The calling WebHelp information was very useful. From reading it, I think I'm beginning to see where the problem(s) may be.

Evidently for the CSH Test Tool to work, the "file" entered in the text box needs to be the START FILE and not the Default Topic, correct?

Also, over the course of this project, I may have merged topics and then deleted the start file since I do not see it in the topics list. That being the case, would creating a new start file and calling it index be acceptable or even recommended?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2007 Dec 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

This is correct. It refers to the physical location of your webhelp output but includes the start file (e.g. projectname.htm).
quote:

Also, over the course of this project, I may have merged topics and then deleted the start file since I do not see it in the topics list. That being the case, would creating a new start file and calling it index be acceptable or even recommended?

That should be OK to do. Just ensure that you recompile and generate before testing. The CSH call doesn't care what has happened to a file as long as it exists where you said it would.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2007 Dec 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Column,

Using the Help project StartPage.htm in the Help File text box, not the project Default Topic allowed the Context-sensitive Help Test Tool to successfully show the mapped topics.

For the Window Caption, does it not like hyphens or special characters in it? I changed the window caption title to Context-sensitive Help, which is displayed in the Windows Properties dialog box, but when I generate the project, launch the CSH Tool and click Show Help, the window title is still the old title (CS Help).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the project renamed from CS Help to Context Sensitive Help by any chance. If so, go into your Proejct Settings from the File menu and you'll find the old file name there. Change it and you should be OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Colum,

No change was made in the project name. I think what the issue is that I'm using the CSH Tool to view the context-sensitive Help. I think there is a default Help window title of Context - Help. I believe to actually see the "real" Help title, I'l need to call the Help from the application.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp