• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom WONT delete photos from disk

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2007 Nov 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the diffrencce between deleting a photo from LR verses completely deleting from the disk.

However when I try to "delete a photo from disk" through light room it remains on my disk no matter what i do.

I do click the option "delete from disk" verses "remove" from LR

any ideas on what is happening here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 05, 2008 Jan 05, 2008
Yes, I was tagging photos and had selected a collection with a specific tag. When I go back to folders all is well. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you in grid view, loupe, and which module. What sort of image? Platform, OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be correct behavior, I believe the manual states that Lightroom moves the file to the recycle bin, so technically it is still on your disk. Is the file being moved at all or are you saying it remains in its original location despite your choosing remove from disk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2007 Nov 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discovered the same problem this AM, Lightroom v.3 no longer deletes the rejected photo from the disk when asked to do so following ctrl+backspace
Problem began after downloading v.3
I'm on a PC and it doesn't matter what view I am in.
Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2007 Nov 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard,

Works fine here (Win XP Home). What OS? Any other details that might help explain why it doesn't work for you, but does for me?

--John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2008 Jan 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I have LR 1.3.1 on a Windows Vista Ultimate OS. When I try and delete rejected pictures it only offers to remove the photo. The delete option is no longer there. So is this a bug or a feature? Personally I would like the option back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, are you deleting from a collection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was tagging photos and had selected a collection with a specific tag. When I go back to folders all is well. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are your photos stored? My understanding is that LR will not delete photos that are stored on a network location/NAS.

regards
Raf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2008 Jan 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rafael, different problem. this one was solved.

Wrong area of Library.

Don
Don Ricklin, MacBook 2Ghz Duo 2 Core running 10.5.1 & Win XP, Pentax *ist D
See LR Links list at my Blog for related sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2008 Jan 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is still occurring with version 3.1 on Windows Vista. There is no longer an option to delete the photo in the menus (top or context) and when you press backspace or delete the file disappears from the catalog view but no prompt shows up to confirm disk delete and the item remains in the same location on the hard disk. Please post a solution if one is found.

Lightroom version: 1.3.1 [403270]
Operating system: Windows Vista Professional (Build 6000)
Version: 6.0 [6000]
Application architecture: x86
System architecture: x86
Physical processor count: 2
Built-in memory: 1021.5 MB
Processor speed: 1.9 Ghz
Real memory available to Lightroom: 612.9 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 120.1 MB (19.5%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 112.5 MB
Memory cache size: 113.3 MB
Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.3
Library Path: D:\photos\Lightroom\Lightroom Database.lrcat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 13, 2008 Jan 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rafael -
LR deletes fine from a NAS, but the NAS does not have a recycle bin that the local computer can recognize, so it is a permanent delete instead of a recoverable delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2008 May 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I do have the same problem on a MacBook with a network drive. When I delete a photo I want it to be gone! Does anybody know how to solve this? Can't we switch the trash-can off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2008 Jun 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with version 1.4 of LR (vista biz edition) -- no option to physically delete the photo.

any answers for this one yet ?
thx
Travis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Travis,
LR Version 1.4 was withdrawn by Adobe a few days after its release due to several serious bugs.
Its replacement update version 1.4.1 should be installed if you have not already done so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.. version 1.4.1 has been installed -- same issue

thx
Travis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folder is read only/locked?

You're not in a folder view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2008 Jun 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

looked like the folder was "read only" .. anyways, hitting the delete key does the trick .. thanks for the tips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2008 Jun 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To delete a picture, I believe that you have to be in Library mode and have the folder that the picture resides in hilighted in the left pane. Oops - it seems that isn't the issue here, as you are given the "delete from disk" option. Nevertheless, I stumbled early on, on why I would not sometimes get the "delete from disk" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2008 Oct 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same problem. I use Vista Home and Lightroom 2.1. My Lightroom Catalog is located in my "My Pictures" folder. Like the others, I can delete the file from the catalog but cannot delete the file from the disk even though the file is marked as rejected. In the Library Module, Grid View, when I click "Photo" from the drop-down menu, the "Delete Rejected Photo" is grayed out. Today is the first day I noticed it. I've never had this problem before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you guys talking about Lightroom or Lightroom Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2008 Oct 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody... I've found the solution for this issue on Vista. You need to run Lightroom under the administrator to be able to perform delete from disk. To do so go in Start/programs and right click on adobe Lightroom and then select: run as administrator. Then select the all files in the left pane of the library. Under the Photo menu just select: delete rejected photos. Tadan!

Worked for me... hope this can help all of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2011 Jul 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fyi,

I encountered this problem out of the blue today, and this solution worked for me:  Start>Right click on LR3>run as adminstratror.  Running PC Vista 64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2011 Jul 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This little "run as administrator" issue resolved my issues!  Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 02, 2011 Jul 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If running as administrator "fixes" your problem, then the real problem is you don't own the older files.  It's not just a permissions problem,its an ACL problem.  You need to "take ownership" of the images, not just make them read/write.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines