• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to open project from an earlier version (RH x3) using RoboHelp 6.

New Here ,
May 31, 2007 May 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I need your help. I have recently upgraded from RH x3 to RH V6. I have just completed the installation of RH6 after spending long time with Adobe customer support as it took them long time to figure out how to provide me the unlocking key to install RH v6.

BTW I have only installed RoboHelp 6 by itself. I did not install their Source Control because we already have Visual Source Safe which we have been using in our company.

Also, since I had Adobe Reader 8 installed on my PC, I did not install Acrobat Element 7 either. As I suppose if Acrobat 7 or higher is installed RH v6 was not going to install Acrobat Element 7.

Well, now after I have installed RH v6, my first step is to find out how to open project from an earlier version (RH x3) using RoboHelp 6.

RH x3 is installed on my old PC and I am working on my new PC where I have installed RH V6.

Sorry, for providing you too many details, the purpose is only to give you a clear picture.
Please, give me your feedback if I am doing everything correct and how should I open the project from an earlier version.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy the project to the new PC and use File | Open. Point to the projects MPJ file and RoboHelp will do the rest. I am assuming you are using RH HTML. Same approach with RH for Word except you point to a different file.

To copy the project, I suggest you zip it and move it. Quicker that way and less prone to error.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SangyD

Unless you meant to say you have the Acrobat 8 application installed, you are cheating yourself out of the ability to create PDF. Maybe it was just a typo, but Acrobat Reader is not the same as the Acrobat application. The Acrobat application allows you to create .PDF content, while the Acrobat Reader only allows you to view PDF content that already exists.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Actually, it was not typo, I did mean to write Adobe Reader 8 and that’s why I was doubtful but thank you so much for the clarification. So, having said that do you think that I should go ahead and install Acrobat Element 7 and that is not going to have any conflict with Adobe Reader 8, I guess not but still making sure.

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for the response. Actually, after I posted the question on Forum we had lost internet connection for some time and I just went ahead and tried it by myself.

This is what I did – since we use MS Visual Source Safe, my all files were in the working folder of VSS in my c drive. I just clicked the Open tab/More Files in RoboHelp Starter and located the RoboHelp HTML Project File. It opened without any problem. Everything looks alright.

Is there anything specific I should be checking to make sure if it is working fine in this version of RH. Because I did not create this project, somebody else did and I have never used this tool before this is the first time I will be using.

I found your site pretty helpful though and it did have some information about Source Safe. I still have one question related to Visual Source Safe that Is RoboHelp v6 linked to VSS automatically and check the files out from it automatically whenever a project is opened or we have to manually set the link between the RH6 & VSS.

In RH x3 whenever I would open a project it would prompt a message that in order to open this project the following files need to be writable, would you like to make them writable, selecting that option would checkout all the files from the VSS to make them writable. However, in RH V6 I opened an existing project and it opened without checking out the project files from VSS. Do you have any idea what’s happening?

Ps: Do you recommend any book on RH 6 for starters or any other recommendation?

Your help is always appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The only thing I can think of to check is if you have table with merged cells and you use conditional tags, not necessarily on those tables. If you do, there is a patch available for that. The problem is described in Snippets on my site.

I cannot help you on the source control questions. Someone else?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp