• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search Topic

Explorer ,
May 15, 2007 May 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm designing a RH6 webhelp system, and I'd like the first page to be the search page.

I've read the Skinny on Skins (a great resource), and I know I can edit the "Type in the word(s) to search for:” text.

I was hoping I could make help system start on the Search tab AND display a default topic. Basically I need to instruct users on the limitations of the search.

If I can't do this, can I use a redirect page, that tells them what they need to know, and then redirects to the search tab?

My client doesn't want the Search functionality in the toolbar.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default topic is the default topic and will open regardless of which tab the help opens to. The tab that displays is down to your developers.

That said, are you really sure you want to go this way. I appreciate it is the clients decision but maybe you need to persuade the client to look afresh. Being cynical, you are sort of saying "here's a help file where the search is limited to the point I have to tell you about it up front (not a good selling point for your help) and the Table of Contents I have constructed is so poor you will need the search". Now I know that is being harsh but I think you can see my point.

As a user I want to see a default topic that interests me and tells me something about the software or using the help in a way that makes me want to use it. Then I look at the TOC expecting that to help my understand the structure of the help. I only want the search when that and the index have failed me.

In what way is the search limited in your eyes? See the Searching topic on my site. Perhaps an alternative search would help.

The search in the toolbar is easily turned off when you generate the help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

The configuration is not ideal, but it's what they want. The project is so small that searching alone should work.

We are considering the more roboust search feature you mention on your site for a larger project. Your website has been a big help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Umm, maybe it's just the simpleton in me coming out here, but when you right-click the WebHelp layout, click Properties from the context menu followed by a single click on the Next > button, you can click the Search item followed by the "Set As Default" button to choose it as the default tab. Wouldn't this accomplish the goal?

Just a thought... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well of course it would, doh!. In my defence it was late at night when I posted.
Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 16, 2007 May 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another approach would be to make the introductory page a little more general. The outline would be something like,

Welcome to this online guide to (application, and what it does),.
Here's what the guide contains, and how you can use it:
.Search (as the default tab allows),
.browse through the TOC (click Contents) and
.(if available) use the Index (click Index).

If you want to begin with a search, here's how you do it.
To learn more about (application), click here for an introduction.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2007 May 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The reason for the simple site is that it's actually being linked to the larger one, via a toolbar button. Linking the the two has become my new problem.

I can't get one project to open another.
I think the scripts I've tried are meant for website addresses and not local files. Any help with this would be much appreciated. I'm trying to demo this soon... please help!

I've posted another thread for this topic:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=447&threadid=1268171&e...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp