Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Goofy little boxes

Advisor ,
May 18, 2007 May 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone run into a situation like this? [RH X5.0.2]

Occasionally, a little box appears above every list item in a topic file (I hope it shows up in the attached code). This never seems to happen while editing the file, but apparently develops during the Generate/Publish process (might it even be the residue of a failed rltnnnn.htm Review temp file?)

Although this happens rarely, it's embarassing to have your reviewers giggle at the results of this glitch. Fixing it is relatively simple, but we'd certainly like to prevent it happening at all.

Leon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon

I just popped that code into a topic and it works correctly.

Can you recreate the problem in a project that you can send me? Screenshot?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on what character code is behind that goofy little square. It may be something that sourcecode can't render correctly, but shows up in html output.

If you look at the source code in the output file, what do you see?

When you paste it in here, it takes a form that html ignores.

Now this all assumes that you're not talking about that little black square in front of each item. ;-)

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

By chance was any of this content copied or otherwise imported from Word? I ask because I found a long time ago that if I copied a bulleted list from Word and pasted into other applications, I would end up with weird little squares that I had to later remove. Personally, I figured they were an odd interpretation of a Word tab character. But maybe that's just me.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the source code, and the goofy little boxes appear in the source WYSIWYG and in the output.

There's no code behind them, just the boxes, which appear on their own line above the list items and aligned left with them (not with the disc bullet).

Removing them manually, one by one, seems to keep them at bay; at least, until they appear in another topic weeks later.

Sigh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2007 May 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had this issue a while ago and I'm trying to remember the solution.
I believe it happens if the last thing you do in a topic is edit the true code. Therefore, before saving the topic, go back to the WYSIWIG editor and put something in -- even a space and save the topic.

This is what resolved the problem for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 22, 2007 May 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
hmmm....interesting. Puts me in mind of that other glitch, where you lose your edits if you immediately double click another file in either of the Topics lists.

Actually, I think that certain anti-virus products wreak havoc with RH: ever since our IT folks switched to Kaspersky, we've experienced nothing but trouble.

Oh well, at least these goofy boxes haven't prompted any loss of content or format. Sigh...

Thx,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp