Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jumping between topics in the editor with hyperlinks

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2007 Apr 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, a quick question:

In the WYSIWYG display, I have my topic text, complete with hyperlinks. I would like to be able to click on the link, and jump to the relevant topic in order to edit it. Typical things like clicking the link while holding "ctrl" don't work, and right clicking the link doesn't bring up a "go to" option or something similar. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance

Will

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an option but it is a very good point. Go to Adobe's site and enter Bug Report in the search field. It will take you to a form for entering bugs and feature enhancements. This one should definitely be requested.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

Well, it's not an official option.

If you feel like editing your registry, you *might* be able to coax RoboHelp HTML into this behavior.

Before I reply with the possible method, what version of RoboHelp?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, may not be version specific.

Try this:

Close RoboHelp HTML

Open the registry editor. (back it up and don't come cryin to me if you corrupt it, yadda yadda yadda)

Locate the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blue Sky Software\RoboEditor\Defaults

Locate the following entry:
AllowNavigationWhenControlKeyIsDown

Double-click the entry and change the value from FALSE to TRUE.

Close the Registry Editor and restart RoboHelp HTML. Then test.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional note...

This used to mostly work for versions up to and including X5, but not always (which is probably why it never was a supported option).

I just tested this and it fails in version 6. But fortunately I did seem to locate the proper spot to poke if you have 6.

I'm conducting a Captivate class today and am on a lunch break. I'll check in later on...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\RoboHelp\RoboEditor\Defaults

Cheers all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies,

I'm using X5.0.1, build 606.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2007 Apr 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick, your solutions solved the problem. Now for a bonus question: is there a way to create a quick "back" button in the editor as well?

Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2007 Apr 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Will

There is no way to accomplish this that I'm aware of. However, most folks are blissfully unaware of our nifty workaround. when Previewing. That is to right-click the Preview window and choose Back from the Context menu.

Additionally, I often hear folks express desire for the ability to have a MDI in RoboHelp. Here's the next best thing. From the Project Explorer, open a topic in the editor. Now click the TOC tab. Open a different topic. Now click the Index tab. Open yet a third different topic. Now you have rapid access to any of the three topics. You just click the tab and double-click the highlighted topic to return to it. Sorta like bookmarking them.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 11, 2008 Aug 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I tried this in version 7 and it does follow the hyperlink (like the old days). Remember back in the early (Blue Sky) days when you could click the toolbar button and "follow" the hyperlink?

When I followed the hyperlink, RoboHelp kept the title of the original topic on the tab and in the program's title bar. This made me a bit nervous so I tested to see if I could change the topic and it would update the correct one and it does. This makes me a bit nervous though because it would be way too easy to think one topic is opened (after following it) when in fact the information from another is showing (and that's what I'd be editing). I could keep following hyperlinks and get myself lost if I work in other tabs and come back to this later.

Ideally the "followed" topic would open in a new tab...even though this is unsupported...Even FrameMaker allows me to follow hyperlinks, RoboHelp sure ought to!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp