• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IIF and SQL Server 2000

Participant ,
Apr 10, 2007 Apr 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm ready to pull my hair out. I have just created a new view in SQL Server 2000 using the query designer. However, I cannot get the code to accept a case statement, which is supposed to replace the IIF statement that I was using in Access. Here is the code in the query designer:

SELECT dbo.company.CompanyName, SQRT((69.1 * (dbo.zipcodes.Latitude - 32.716263)) * (69.1 * (dbo.zipcodes.Latitude - 32.716263))
+ (69.1 * (dbo.zipcodes.Longitude - - 117.11426) * COS(32.716263 / 57.3)) * (69.1 * (dbo.zipcodes.Longitude - - 117.11426) * COS(32.716263 / 57.3)))
AS Distance
FROM dbo.company INNER JOIN
dbo.CompanyXSignType ON dbo.company.CompanyID = dbo.CompanyXSignType.companyID INNER JOIN
dbo.zipcodes ON dbo.company.Zip = dbo.zipcodes.ZIPCode INNER JOIN
dbo.radius ON dbo.company.radiusID = dbo.radius.radiusID INNER JOIN
dbo.signTypes ON dbo.CompanyXSignType.signtypeID = dbo.signTypes.SignTypeID

I am trying to add this code to the mix, but it will not accept it:
TooFar = CASE WHEN[distance] > [radius].[radius] THEN 'no' ELSE 'good' END

This is the error I get: The Query Designer does not support the CASE SQL construct.

If I try to add it to the "column" area, it spits out the code as a text string.

I am new to SQL Server 2000, so any help would be appreciated. I found some articles on creating a function and using the case statement, but I have no idea how to do that or then, how to call it in my query...
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

select case
when this then that
when these then those
else somethingelse end

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I understand. Is this what you're telling me?

SELECT CASE WHEN[distance] > [radius].[radius] THEN 'no' ELSE 'good' AS TooFar END

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More like this:
CASE WHEN [distance] > [radius].[radius] THEN 'no' ELSE 'good' END AS TooFar

rather than this:
CASE WHEN[distance] > [radius].[radius] THEN 'no' ELSE 'good' AS TooFar END

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't use the CASE statement in the Query Deisgner. I get the following error message:

The Query Designer does not support the CASE SQL construct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure you even need the brackets (distance and radius are not reserved words in MSSQL):

'TooFar' = Case When Distance > radius.radius Then 'no' else 'good' end

If that doesn't work, try recreating your replacing the text "distance" with the whole Distance calculation code and see if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, that is right, you can't use the distance alias in the CASE statement like that.. you would have to use the entire calculation.

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually got it to work - finally!!!

TooFar = CASE WHEN Sqrt((69.1*([zipcodes].[latitude]- #passedzip.latitude#))*(69.1*([zipcodes].[latitude]- #passedzip.latitude#))+(69.1*([zipcodes].[longitude]- #passedzip.longitude#)*Cos(#passedzip.latitude#/57.3)*(69.1*([zipcodes].[longitude]- #passedzip.longitude#)*Cos(#passedzip.latitude#/57.3)))) > [radius].[radius] THEN 'No' Else 'Good' END

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had to use the Query Analyzer instead of trying to create the view within the Enterprise Manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks everybody for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation