• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I unconstrain my cropping tool?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2008 Jan 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. All of a sudden today my cropping tool will only do constrained crops --- that is, I can only crop perfect squares.

1. How do I unconstrain it?

2. How did this happen? I have never asked P'shop to constrain a crop. How did this default get set like this?

This is Photoshop CS2, by the way.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at your settings for the aspect ratio (width x height) in the Options Bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use the clear button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2008 Jan 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Buko. This was happening to me in CS3. Out of the blue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2008 Jan 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This "clear" is "Reset Tool" in the tool presets dropdown menu in Photoshop CS2. Thanks.

My second remains unanswered: how did this happen, did I inadvertently hit a shortcut key combination that constrains the cropping tool (and that shortcut is ... ; and it can be deactivated by ... ;)? Is this a factory preset that is re-invoked whenever I download an "upgrade"?

I'm just trying to learn about this software so that I can avoid some of these productivity-destroying distractions/detours in the future. This little bit of madness resulted in a four-day delay in getting proofs to somebody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>This "clear" is "Reset Tool" in the tool presets dropdown menu in Photoshop CS2.

Nope, the "Clear" button is right there at the top in the Option Bar of the Crop Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create a new document the cropping tool get the sizes of that document, maybe you created a square document before??

In any way, using the clear/reset does get you the free cropping, hit front image (beside it) and the sizes of the image you work on are selected.

You can also make a bunch of presets (which I find very useful)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: charles badland: "Nope, the "Clear" button is right there at the top in the Option Bar of the Crop Tool."

Now I see it. Two different ways to free my cropping tool then; thanks.

Re: Omke Oudman: "If you create a new document the cropping tool get the sizes of that document, maybe you created a square document before??"

News to me. I've worked with oh several hundred images in Photoshop over the years, never encounted a situation before where the cropping tool was constrained. I can imagine situations where you might want the cropped area to have the exact same dimensions as the original, but it strikes me that this would be an exception to the usual state of affairs. Constraining the cropping tool to the proportions of your new image seems to be ... well, I don't understand why you might want this as the *default*.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 09, 2008 Jan 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have accidentally hit the "Front Image" button (next to the Clear button) while working on a square image. Or hit one of the crop tool presets. The settings are sticky until cleared, which I think is a good feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jan 09, 2008 Jan 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George: I forgot to mention that this happens only if you use New Document after copy and paste through the clipboard. The document then automatically follows the dimensions of the copied file size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2008 Jan 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The settings are sticky until cleared, which I think is a good feature."

Sure, but not when you have to hit the "clear" button several times and then double-check to see what the tool is going to do when you change any values.

For me, the bizarre behavior comes up when I'm cropping images with one dimension filled in (i.e., 800px wide), then hit the switch button to make the height 800px (width is now blank). So far, so good. But when I change that height to say, 650 (still blank on width), it suddenly constrains the width to 800px (the previous value) WITHOUT showing anything in the width box! This can be confirmed by hitting the switch icon; suddenly it displays both values.

To fix it, one must manually delete the values and re-enter. Hey, that's productive. This wacky, incomprehensible bug has been around for a while, including CS3. HELLO ADOBE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, looks like a bug. Have you sent in a bug report?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy,

Adobe has taken increasingly to viewing its customers as annoying adversaries to be ignored or berated rather than listened to. :/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2008 Jan 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> George: I forgot to mention that this happens only if you use New Document after copy and paste through the clipboard. The document then automatically follows the dimensions of the copied file size<<br />
I've never noticed this in 15 years or so I've been using Photoshop. I've never had the constrain dimensions option invoke itself (although I've set it and forgotten about it before). I use the copy-paste option to create new documents frequently. It constrains the original window to the dimensions in the clipboard, but I've never seen it automatically set a constrain crop preference!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2008 Jan 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incidentally, since it's only doing perfect squares, are you sure your shift key isn't sticking? Maybe it's the keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2008 Mar 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that in fact is what it turned out to be: a keyboard that's starting to stick, starting with the left-side shift key. Managed to learn all kinds of interesting other things though as a result of my question. Thanks to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you try reinstall the program,I have fixed that before reinstaling clean windows and the program but yesterday there was an error again,if someone can helps me cos I need to finish my project for spanish company Diseño Web

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines