• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Uninstalling Bonjour service from Photoshop CS3?

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2007 Apr 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there no proper way to uninstall the Bonjour service that is automatically installed with PS CS3? It is of little use to the average Windows user and the service is also messed up by being named "##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##" rather than "Bonjour Service".

It's certainly possible to manually remove the references to the service in the registry and hope for the best, but that's not good enough for a top dollar application.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 115 Replies 115
Apr 18, 2007 Apr 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could go into services (start> settings> control panel> administrative tools> services) and set the service to "Disabled" (right click it and select properties, you'll see a dropdown).

Be careful though as it may be used by other programs. Most notably that i can think of is iTunes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2007 Apr 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

this is what I compiled for myself; it worked and left me with a working Internet connection:

1) sc stop "Bonjour Service"
sc delete "Bonjour Service"
2) regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\bonjour\explorerplugin.dll"
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll"
3) ren "c:\program files\bonjour" xxx (is locked)
4) del %systemroot%\system32\dns-sd.exe
del %systemroot%\system32\dnssd.dll
5) Under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries delete the key pointing to mdnsnsp.dll (e.g. 000000000007). Set HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Num_Catalog_Entries to the new last catalog entry key number (e.g. 6).
6) Search the Registry for explorerplugin.dll, mdnsnsp.dll, mdnsresponder.exe, and program files\bonjour; delete all references.
7) Reboot
8) Delete "c:\program files\xxx".

Hope it helps

sleepyhollow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit:

Replace "Bonjour Service" with that cryptic name given to the service by Adobe.

One word to Adobe: Si ne tacuisses!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See comments to http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/01/cs3_doesnt_inst.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>See comments to http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/01/cs3_doesnt_inst.html

specifically see:

>Yakumo 06:43 AM on April 25, 2007 because of the "$$Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762$$" service id I'd been annoyed by bonjour after itunes installed it, and it's how i stumbled into here.

>solution I used was simply to download bonjour for windows from http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bonjourforwindows.html install it, then immediately use the uninstaller it handilly puts in 'add/remove programs'. this works cleanly, and on vista too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried installing / uninstalling Bonjour and restarting my system. mDNSResponder has not been killed. On the contrary, its mem usage has bloated to 3.5 megs instead of the 450kb it was using before...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's not good... try again? i'll try it when i get home tonight...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried twice. Moving up, taking off gloves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

get the blow torch ready! stat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has anyone tried simply disabling it like i explained in another thread?

go into services, select it, right click> properties. select stop service, then change startup method from "automatic" to "disable".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After uninstalling! Bonjour, there was still a folder at program files/Bonjour with mDNSResponder.EXE and a .dll file.

I went into services and killed Bonjour (which was happily chucking along after 2 uninstalls), deleted mDNSResponder.exe. The .dll file could not be deleted, so I followed the advice given in the link I provided, and renamed the.dll file and rebooted. Now it could be deleted.

However, checking Services, Bonjour is STILL LISTED, albeit disabled.

Great software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

woof! i've had it for a while with itunes. i usually just deny it internet access via zonealarm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2007 May 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easiest solution, not surprisingly, found here:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=kb400982

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2007 May 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The adobe web site says :-
To remove Bonjour:

Open a Windows command prompt and type the following command:
"C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe -remove"
Navigate to the following folder in Windows Explorer: C:\Program Files\Bonjour
Rename the mdnsNSP.dll file in that folder to mdnsNSP.old
Restart your computer
Delete the the Program Files\Bonjour folder

However, the first command line that they give did not work for me, I had to use " C:\Progra~1\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe -remove "

for what it is worth........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dahle,

It sounds to me like you didn't include the quotes, which would be required due to the blank space between "Program" and "Files". But, if you did include the quotes and ran the command from the Command Prompt window, only to see it fail, then it may be that only works from the Start > Run dialog. I used the command earlier today from the Run window, with quotes, and it worked fine.

Regards,

Daryl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, with or without the quotes.

I'll try Run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work there either.

Dahle's version does work in Run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2007 May 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with one click, at least disable it.

http://download.gizmoproject.com/jasmine/TurnOffBonjour.exe

don't forget to virus pre-check.. ya never know
/
/
/
rock on adobeheads !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>with one click, at least disable it. <br />>http://<rest of link removed>/TurnOffBonjour.exe <br />>don't forget to virus pre-check.. ya never know<br /><br />Ya never know, indeed. I'd never run an unknown executable on my computer, no matter what it is claimed to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, Yes, I disabled it by disabling the service. I did it because I lost network connectivity when it was running so if anyone complains about losing their network, they should first disable or uninstall Bonjour (I guess they wouldn't be able to, though, since they don't have a network - Capt. Yossarian, where are you?)

John Gregson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2010 Feb 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I was drawn to this post as I have been trying to install CS3 on a Windows 7 x64 machine. Although this thread is quite old now I thought this might help someone.

CS3 runs Apples Bonjour for windows. I found that when you install CS3 on Windows 7 or Vista machine a additional route is added to the default gateway. This 0.0.0.0 address issue allowed me to navigate to the local network but stopped me getting to the internet or any of my other subnets.

I found this thread and went down the route of uninstalling the Bonjour's associated files and services but for me it screwed my machine and I had to restore. In the end I found a thread that pointed out that the files installed by CS3, found in the 'Program Files (x86)\Bonjour' where dated 2006.

If you go to the Mac website you'll find the latest program for download in a x64 bit version. Install this over the top (no need to remove the current Bonjour files) and after a reboot you should find your network connectivity returns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2007 May 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe" -remove

-remove

should be byond the quotes
I used a DOS box to chk

MT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2007 May 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

easy
start --> run --> cmd
cd c:\program files\bonjour\
mdnsresponder -remove
rename mdnsnsp.dll to mdnsnsp.old
reboot
delete bonjour folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2007 Jun 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used this freeware application.

www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Unlocker.shtml

Unlocked the mDNSResponder.exe and the ".dll" in the Bonjour dir, and manually deleted the Bonjour dir in program files. I then disabled the string:

##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##

in the startup in services. I did all this after running the uninstall in add/remove programs. Seemed to handle the task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines