Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating new project in RH HTML or importing existing source files

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2007 Mar 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
I am generating HTML Help File using RH (X5.02) for Word (Word 2000). My current CHM needs links to some DOC or XLS files and I cannot get this to work properly so, as this Help File is not too large, I have decided to import my project into RH for HTML as it said in the documentation that hyperlinks of this sort are supported.
1. If I try importing my Word source files, I am told the database cannot be created because the directory may be read-only . I have talked to my Infra colleagues who tell me the directory is not read-only, that everything is fine and that it is nothing to do with them.
2. If, out of despair, I try to create a new project, I go through the choice of the output type then onto the screen where you specify the project name, the location, the name of the first topic. When I click on 'Finish', I am back to the Output file type and nothing else happens. If I use Windows Explorer, my directory for the project has been created, a few files are in there (with cpd, glo, hpr, syn and css extensions), but no project file.
Aaaaaaaaaaargh, I am starting to stress about this .
Has anyone else experienced this before? What can I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2007 Mar 02, 2007
I think I would be inclined to uninstall and reinstall RH making sure your login is used with admin rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you be trying to create the project on a network drive by any chance?

If you are, work locally.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,
I am working locally (projects are on my C drive and on VSS). I initially thought the problem was with VSS (My project built using RH for Word is in VSS) but as I experience the same issues when trying to create a brand new project from scratch, I am now completely lost!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2007 Mar 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmmmmm
I have tried creating a new project using RH HTML (I usually use RH for Word) but have both available and after a first set up screen (choosing the output type, the project name, entering the first topic name, etc), I click on 'Finish' and RH HTML just kicks me out without any warning or error messages. The Task Manager shows that RH is not loaded. When I go to the directory I specified for the location of the project, a few files have been created (see my first post on this topic) but no project file.

I am getting very concerned as I used to be able to use RH HTML (mainly for converting projects generated with RH for Word) and it would not work anymore. The only noticeable changes I can think of are that I have recently installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 on my PC and have been using Microsoft Visual Source for version control. I have been using RH X5 for two years now without any major glitches like this one.

Has anyone else experienced this problem before? Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2007 Mar 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I would be inclined to uninstall and reinstall RH making sure your login is used with admin rights.
Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2007 Mar 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hello Peter
Thanks for the advice, I have uninstalled and reinstalled RH and now RH HTML works fine and lets me open RH for Word projects or create new projects. However I had to completely re-ghost my PC as I think Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 has messed up some DLLs used by RH. I don't know if it is a known issue but basically now I have RH working fine (apart from a glitch, that I detail in another post, regarding hyperlinks) and no Visual Studio 2005.
Thanks again,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp