• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2009 Mar 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I use Photoshop CS4 now and I have a problem when I want to import (by dragging'n dropping, importing, open - I tried every way)a .png or i.e. also an .jpg:

when I worked a short time with PS (i.e. 10 minutes) and want to open a .png then, there comes the popup-window with:
"Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file"

The funny thing is: my file is NOT broken!! Because if I then shutdown PS and open it again, there is no longer a problem to open the .png-file.... after a while of course it comes back...

So all solutions that I found on this problem were "the norton anti virus is also running"-solution: but I have no NAV running!!
And the files are NOT damaged!! Otherwise I couldn't have opened it after restarting PS.

I purged all files and I have enough cache!! So it doesn't seem to be a problem of my computerperformance.

Any idea???

Thanks a lot,
Nina

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 116 Replies 116

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your preferences as described in the FAQ.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1

You either have to physically delete (or rename) the preference files or, if using the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method, be sure that you get a confirmation dialog.

This resets all settings in Photoshop to factory defaults.

A complete uninstall/re-install will not affect the preferences and a corrupt file there may be causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John!!

I'll try that immediately!!
Of course it will take a while to show up if that worked out...because I restarted PS and by doing that it will work anyway - but only for a few minutes.

So I will tell promtply!

Thanks for your fast reply!

Nina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2009 Mar 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everybody,

Problem came back!
Went good until now!
I did what John suggested - but after working with PS for 1 day (after resetting) the problem occurred again!

Any other ideas?

Greetz,
Nina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2009 Mar 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Still got the same problem!
Has anyone an idea?

Greetz,
Nina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 20, 2009 Mar 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us a little more about your setup? If the problem went away when you eliminated your preferences, then returned -- The question is why are your preferences getting borked in the first place. Something unusual is happening.

So we need to know more specifics including your workflow ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2009 Apr 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SDA,

well - I don't think that it was kind of fixed when I eliminated my preferences, and then came back... I think it wasn't even fixed! Sometimes this problem occured after 10 minutes - sometimes it went good for 1 day!

To explain my workflow:
I open PS and my last work: a psd. Of course my psd has sometimes many layers (about 50) sometimes less. Maybe I open another psd... with this two files open, I work and sometimes save.
Then I want to open an png in PS. AND: the problem occures!

Sometimes I even had no psd-file open! I just opened a few png-files in PS, but when I want to open the 7th or 8th png: Problem again!

I have no other "heavy programs" running: maybe outlook, skype and one Firefox-Window with two or three tabs.

Thanks for any help,
Nina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so do you have enough scratch disk and ram assigned to Photoshop to be working with so many image levels/images at the same time ? I don't recall you posting your system specs. I'm leaning toward a memory issue; corrupting your preferences (assuming that you don't have enough memory space to be working with that many files open continuously). Of course can't rule this out until seeing the specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SDA - if RAM or scratch space were low, nina would get an error message saying so.

But the error message reported means that the file is corrupt (can't be parsed).

But if the same file works sometimes and not others - that indicates some other problem. Possibilities are: bad RAM, interference from another app (virus, anti-virus, disk utility, etc.), bad hard disk system, a seriously malfunctioning third party plugin (especially if you are using a third party PNG plugin), etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris Cox Of course you're right; that's what I covered (or meant) with "being a ram issue". ;-D Could have been more than one scenario. Thanks for the clarification.

I suspect the OP should bite the bullet and get an IT person to look at at box in question. Some things are a little difficult to troubleshoot through a forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi to all,

thanks for your answers! I am still absolutely perplex ... it seems that only I have this probleme .. !

I will check all the solutions you've suggested (the RAM and virus-stuff) and hope that something gonna work --

Thanks to all of you.

Nina

*my account seemed to be broken since they relaunched the forum but: I am nina1234567... so hope you gonna see this*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2009 Apr 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STILL same problem!!

Meanwhile I re-installed Photoshop and because of the missing positive result I then also re-installed my whole CS4-Package!!!

I don't get it! I never had this problem with CS3!! Since I installed CS4 this problem occures!!! *ARGH*

And I cannot understand why I should be zhe only one who has this problem!!! I really searched the whole internet - NO RESULTS!

If I want to batch some .png-files, i have no choce: I have to open them by hand and if after a while the problem shows up, I have to shut down PS and open it again and then the the manual opening goes on!

Any solutions?

Greetz,

Nina

P.S. My collegue has the same problem!!!!! And he heard it could be a bug.... well -- they didn't seem to have fixed it yet! argh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i too got the same problem too with the PNG. Every time i open 2-3 "Big" document and i want to open a PNG i got the parsing error message.

I'm running WinXp Pro 64 sp2 intel core 2 quad CPU q700 @ 2.66mhz, 8.00GB ram.  NVIDIA Quadro FX 370.

All is brand new, ie.CS4 was like the first thing i installed. Its pretty weird and closing/reopening PS is not the best workflow around.

If anyone have an idea on how to solve this, i'm taker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-" Every time i open 2-3 "Big" document and i want to open a PNG i got the parsing error message."-

I used to have this exact problem with CS3, but never 2ith CS4 or below CS3. (Win XP 32bit Quad Core CPU, Nvidia 9800, 4GB RAM)

However, i fixed it. My problem seemed to be the files location was in a deep directory and any png files i opened from there crashed photoshop. I simply moved the files and renamed aload of folders going down to the directory to make the path name shorter and it opened them fine. This solution worked, but i did see the probelm make a come-back after a few months that was not have been caused by the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2009 Dec 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are facing the exact same problem here on 4 PCs with Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended - support is not very helpful as they are only sending back standard makro answers.

Resetting preferences in Photoshop, reinstalling and a clean new installation did not help - the problem remains.

Anyone any idea on how to fix this? This is really a killer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2010 Jan 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem!  It's making me CRAZY!

I keep getting 'cannot be parsed' message and my files are being saved to a file deep dark location. I've reset the preferences several times and it keeps coming back.

Help Please!

FYI:  I did a factory reset on my laptop a few days ago, reinstalled Design Premium and now have this issue.  Never had any problems before.  Grrrr!

Thanks,

Kristin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2010 Feb 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nina,

Did you find anything to fix this problem? I am in

exactly the same position as you were with exactly the same problem. I've tried everything mentioned

in the forums but to no avail. The one thing I didn't try was replacing the .8bi. file because that was for CS2 and CS3 and I don't know whether things are the same in CS4.

I can't believe how many people have this problem or why Adobe don't come out with a solution. - Unless I'm missing something of course.

I'm operating in Windows Vista Home Premium and CS4 Extended and have heaps of ram etc. I can open the PNG files in my old elements and CS3 so it's a problem with the software not the individual files.

Cheers

Maggiestam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 10, 2010 Feb 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maggistam,

fortunately I dont't have this problem anymore...but not, because I found a good solution.. but because I got a new computer and I think with little different hardware or preferences... I don't really know why, but since then I can work the same way I had worked before all this crab appeared.

I am sorry, that I cannot help you all with a better answer... I just hope, that this problem will never appear again...

But I cannot be sure.

Maybe this problem appears only when there are certain factors coming together .. and we all are one part of a "funky abnormal crowd".

But ADOBE should find a way to solve this problem immediately!!!

Cheers,

Nina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for getting back to me Nina. It's all so very frustrating. It

is about time Adobe sorted it out as there are so many people having the

same problem. They have been totally unhelpful so far. I'm glad it's all

sorted out for you, though and I certainly hope it doesn't reoccur on your

new computer.

I'm waiting to hear back from Adobe so we'll see what happens there.

Cheers

Maggie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem!!  So Annoying!

My problem started after I did a factory reset on my laptop and reinstalled Design Premium.  I can use all my Design Programs normally, except Ps.  Isn't there anything that can be done to fix this?  I didn't 'deactivate' Ps before I did the reset, could that be the problem?  Don't know, it's a long shot, I'm sure.

My laptop will be replaced in a couple days...not because of this problem but because I'm upgrading.  I would love to find a solution in case this happens again.

Nina - Do you mind me asking which computer/laptop you got?

Thanks,

Kristin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2010 Feb 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a fairly recent post here, on corrupt Photoshop files, and a repair utility, that I had bookmarked. HERE is that utility.

That would be my first place to look. I have not used it, nor have I needed to, but it came highly recommended from others.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 11, 2010 Feb 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe can't solve corrupt files.

They are corrupted by bad disks, bad RAM, or other applications (malware mostly) on your hard disk.

Photoshop simply reports problems reading the files when the files are corrupt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 12, 2010 Feb 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

I don't know if you got the problem right.

Photoshop just says the file is corrupt, but when I skip PS and then reopen it:

Surprise: now PS has no problem to open the file!!

So the file doesn't seem to be corrupt at all, because when it would, then it should stay corrupt 5 minutes later.

Cheers,

Nina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nina,

I have had the same problem like yours. So I just open the file in Paint Shop Pro X2, save it as a copy and open the copy in Photoshop. Then everything is fine. Some have done the same using GIMP. Maybe it won't work on the really botch corrupt files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. When you save it again what format do you use? PNG again or PSD?

or Jpeg?

Cheers

Maggie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines