• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

VHS-look plugin

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2008 Jul 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I'm looking for a plugin that can give a VHS tape effect. The look of being recorded over 20 times - a bit jittery, slightly distorted, color bleed, etc. I have seen it done, just don't know what was used.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2008 Jul 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

imagination and a little effort was most likely used instead of a plugin.

There are plenty of "tools" available for you to create this and it depends on what you see as a "VHS look"

FWIW - I have never seen a plugin called 'VHS LOOK'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2008 Jul 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prizm4,

You seem to have a good start on what constitutes that "look."

I'd add: noise and higher contrast, especially in the colors. The often seen head alignment problem at the bottom of the frame would go a long way towards getting the "VHS look." Maybe capture from a VHS without perfect head alignment (like one could ever get them perfectly aligned?) and create a lower 1/16 video that you can add to your footage maybe with a Track Matte. If you need footage of that little band, let me know, as I've got a ton of VHS capture footage, and should be able to Crop to just that area and burn to DVD for you

Like Craig, I've not seen a kit solution. I think it will more of a list of visual clues and then choosing an Effect to get that look.

I'd get out the pad and pencil (or wordprocessor in Outline mode) and use your observations to start that list. Others will likely add to it.

After you have your list of what constitutes that look, folk here can make suggestions on how to achieve them in PP.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2008 Jul 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple. Export to DV tape. Copy to VHS. Capture that through a ADVC and start editing.

Use the oldest, most mis-aligned VHS recorder you can find, preferably with dirt clogged heads, use lousy cables, record on a tape that has been used numerous times, modify the quality on export to 1.0, and you will be good. Why would you want that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2008 Jul 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you also have After Effects, AE has a few "video distortion" effects that might be what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2008 Jul 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out that Final Cut has it - the filter is called Bad TV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get a Mac and get FCP if you have money to burn or use the solution in #3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While there are cheaper, more creative, and effective solutions like those mentioned above, Digieffects makes a plug-in set called " Damage" that will get you the look you're after. At $99, it'll hardly break the bank, either.

Side note: why, after years of trying to get cleaner, sharper, higher-resolution video, are we suddenly enamored with video schmeg? Strange... :P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin,

I'd be willing to bet that this particular footage will either appear as a PiP in a TV set, or will be a lead-in to establish TV/VHS in the past. At least I *hope* that is how it's being used.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2008 Jul 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that link, Colin, I'll have to give that a shot.

Simulating old technology is useful at some point or another. Be it vinyl records, distorted two-way radios, or old video tapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the Damage plug-in that Colin mentioned, there's also Old TV in Video Essentials V by NewBlue, and Old TV in CoreMelt Complete V2 by CoreMelt (MacOS only), to name a few.

If you're looking for other plug-ins, take a look at the plug-ins list here - http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/extend.displayTab4.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always wondered about such a filter as well.  The editing team for Tim & Eric from The Cartoon Network's Adult Swim know how to do it.

Apparently, it is currently a trade secret that only high profile editing teams have access to.

Convert your HD video to SD VHS just to achieve this effect?  So funny!  Once you downgrade computer media, there is no way to suitably upscale it back into HD.

The "Damage" filter and FCP solutions mentioned create the effect of old-tyme film, but not that particular VHS effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the free presets for Adobe Premiere Pro at this location: http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/CinemaFX.htm

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

did you get these presets to work and if so are you using CS6?

thanks

Darren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did install them and played around with them a bit, but I have not used them in a production yet. I am using CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Scott,

I did try but I cant get them to load. I did follow the instructions to the T.

Thanks

Darren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I cannot remember what I did, but I either imported them with Premiere Pro open or changed the suffix of the file name and copied them into the presets folder to get it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Scott.

I got it working. I saved the the file as Cinema-FX.prfpset and not a XML (this is when I saved it from http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/CinemaFX.htm) and all works well.

Thanks

Darren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nattress Big Box Of Tricks - TV Effects isnt bad.

Best way I have done this is to actually use a VHS camera in production, and then digitize from a VHS deck through my capture card..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that is assuming you also have access to FCP  as well as PP for the Nattress TV Effects plug-ins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it that this thread is so polluted with people trying to make suggestions that are totally off the mark?  Why is it so hard to understand what is wanted when someone requests a "VHS-look-alike filter?"

And isn't it implicitly understood that a person has to have access to something in order to use it?

So much confusion over something so simple.  Must be something in the water supply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original poster mentioned FCP, so I assumeed they had access to it. Maybe they don't?

I think it is "implicitly understood " that people who inquire about a plug-in may actually have money to spend to purchase the plug-in they are looking for.

If you have  always wondered about such a filter then I would guess that you have done some research in this regard.

Care to share any of that info ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boris Continuum (BCC7 or 8), which will work in Pr, has a bad video effect.  Can't remember the name, but it has lots of controls.  BCC7 is a comprehensive, useful and somewhat expensive suite for Ae and Pr.

I believe that the aforementioned Damage also works in Pr.

And yes, there are some obstinate geezers on this list with ridiculously high post counts who think they have to pipe in on every thread to add unhelpful information.  That's a price of a free and open internet, I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is BCC Damaged TV + a bunch of others like BCC Scanline that can accentuate the effect in BCC8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Money is not about what you earn, but rather what you negotiate."

I've bought plenty of software in my lifetime, have you?  It is my preferred method of voting for favorites in the marketplace.  Why would anyone be making conjectures as to how much money anyone "has access to" on this forum?  They could be mistaken!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines