10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2008 1:54 PM by (bchil)

Serious BUG in Pemiere Pro CS3 Windows Version 3.2.0 (374)

Level 1
      While trying to find out the problem that caused me to have to rebuild ALL of my transitions in a project (search "Can I import just one SEQUENCE from a project?"), my previous post...

I found out how I lost all my transitions. It turns that if you have a timeline open and SELECT ALL (by CTRL+A or manually selecting every clip in the timeline) and try to shift it by using the numeric keypad (i.e. entering "+30" to shift all clips forward 1 second, etc.) - ALL transitions will be lost! The workaround is to SELECT ALL and use the mouse to drag it one second either direction, etc. I am glad I was only 4 min into this project with only about 16 video transitions lost, and I REALLY wish I had been more diligent in noticing that my timeline now contained NO transitions at all!

I cannot really believe Premiere does this and I hope Adobe addresses it soon. I submitted a bug report and I urge everyone to do the same... Link below.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

-BChil
        • 1. Re: Serious BUG in Pemiere Pro CS3 Windows Version 3.2.0 (374)
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          Good of you to notice and post. ;) It's an old bug, but it's good to air it out once in a while.
          • 2. Re: Serious BUG in Pemiere Pro CS3 Windows Version 3.2.0 (374)
            Level 1
            P.S. In case you do not consider this a SERIOUS bug, this is how it happened to me... I was building my project from the zero point (0;00;00 timecode) and wanted to add 30 seconds of color bars and a 5-sec countdown lead-in. I opened the timeline hit CTRL-A and entered "+3500" on the numeric keypad to make the NEW beginning of this sequence at 35 seconds exactly. I am pretty sure that this would be the EASIEST way to do this...

I seriously cannot believe that this glitch could have survived alpha and beta testing, much less still be present in Windows Version 3.2.0 (374) - Amazing that no one has been able to duplicate this bug.

To do a simple test yourself open a New Project, add 5 sec of bars and tone and add a cross dissolve (Ctrl+D). Now, select the clip and enter +30 on the numeric keypad and amazingly your transition is gone! Adobe magic at its finest. Presto change-o!

-BChil

UPDATE: This was posted BEFORE I read Jeff's relpy.
            • 3. Re: Serious BUG in Pemiere Pro CS3 Windows Version 3.2.0 (374)
              Level 1
              I almost posted that this may be an old bug, since I cannot imagine no one noticed it. I did a quick search but found no reference on my search terms at least. I guess that's what I get for only frequenting the forums when I have an issue...

But I guess now the issue is "Why does this SERIOUS bug still exist in version 3.2.0?"

-BChil
              • 4. Re: Serious BUG in Pemiere Pro CS3 Windows Version 3.2.0 (374)
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                >But I guess now the issue is "Why it still exists in version 3.2.0?"

Usually, bugs hang around this long because a workaround exists. You were kind enough to bring up the workaround as well. :)

-Jeff
                • 5. Re: Serious BUG in Pemiere Pro CS3 Windows Version 3.2.0 (374)
                  Level 1
                  Did I say Pemiere Pro CS3? I meant Premiere.

-BC
                  • 6. Re: Serious BUG in Pemiere Pro CS3 Windows Version 3.2.0 (374)
                    shooternz Level 6
                    huh?

You mention CS3 vers 3.2.0 constantly in this thread.
                    • 7. Re: Serious BUG in Pemiere Pro CS3 Windows Version 3.2.0 (374)
                      Level 1
                      Craig -

Initially, I was trying to mention the version I was was running, since this is a new problem to me.

However, the last time I mentioned it was in disbelief that it actually did not get fixed for at least 2 major updates (the first being 3.1, the second being 3.2) - I guess I did not take into consideration that mentioning the version I was running would somehow throw anyone off or skew the point I was trying to make.

I never made it past BASIC programming, so take what I say with a grain of salt - BUT - even in BASIC I think I could have programmed that IF x=1 THEN do not delete all my transitions... I will field any and all intelligent debate to this refusal on Adobe's part to incorporate what could have been achieved with 1970's technology. This is a major flaw. Please do not downplay the seriousness of it still existing after two major revisions... "It's an old bug, but it's good to air it out once in a while.", as Jeff Bullune was so kind as to point out...

Now do you understand what I am referring to? If not, I do not think I can be of further assistance...

-BChil
                      • 8. Re: Serious BUG in Pemiere Pro CS3 Windows Version 3.2.0 (374)
                        Level 1
                        If you want to push the sequence forward to fit a clip in front. Why don't you use insert edit. Set the length of the clip you want to insert in the source. Place the playhead at the position you want to enter the clip into the timeline. (The start of the timeline). Make sure the audio and video tracks are highlighted, then insert the source clip. everything will push forward. This is tried and true way to work. Selecting all and telling it to move forward to allow a gap and then filling the gap not the most efficient way to work. Use ripple edit if you want to adjust the new 1st clip that should push or pull everything and not lose transitions.
                        - Jon Barrie
                        • 9. Re: Serious BUG in Pemiere Pro CS3 Windows Version 3.2.0 (374)
                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                          It is a bug. Put in a bug report. Maybe it will get fixed.

We don't work for Adobe so all we can do is agree with you and say "put in a bug report".
                          • 10. Re: Serious BUG in Pemiere Pro CS3 Windows Version 3.2.0 (374)
                            Level 1
                            Jon -

Thanks for that suggestion, that would certainly do what I was trying to accomplish. I tend to edit by working with a garbage timeline and scrub it to pull clips in/out as needed. Since I don't use the preview monitor much, I hadn't though of it.

Still, this is something that should have been fixed long ago - and cost me at least an hour of re-doing, the many of the transitions I lost were Vitascene builds. And I have already submitted a bug report, as mentioned in my initial post (complete with version number... haha)

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

-BChil

-BChil