New Here ,
Oct 01, 2008 Oct 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello gentlemen,

I've tried using the dust and scratches filter on a piece of video,
and I just don't know what settings to use, to get it to look like
dust and scratches.

In Windows Movie Maker, you add the filter on, and right away you see the effect, and it is very pronounced, it looks like an old film.

Now in PP, I just don't get this effect at all, no matter how much I play with the "radius" and "threshold" settings I don't see anything like dust and scratches giving it that old kind of feel.

Any help much appreciated.

Dave.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PP does not know how to make old film. Use Window Movie Maker or Premiere Elements 4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know why dust and scratches is included in PP CS3 ? what then does this filter accomplish ?

thanks,
Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took me about 38 seconds in the help files to find what the effect is supposed to do. I didn't even have to look beyond the table of contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a "super unhelpful" button? 'Cause that's what this is. Thanks for nothing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dust and Scratches in Premiere is not an additive style effect.  It's a noise or grain REDUCTION algorithm.  I'd wager it works much like the noise reduction filter in photoshop.  For those using this for adding noise, here's your woops moment.  This is meant to FIX the noise and scratches problem, not create one.

For this effect use the Noise filters in the effects list.  These actually add noise.  There's also a film grain filter now.  You can use it in premiere, but usually I prefer After effects, as I can pre-render a comp using render farming, and then see the results immediately in premiere.

Put your sequence in After effects (check the documentation for how), then create a comp from the sequence, and add your filter effects.  You might have to do some reading on that one too.  Once you finish, you can set up a render queue, locate it to a drive, create the job, and go to each machine to render it out.  As long as your effects are all loaded on each machine (some third party plugs require more licensing for this), you can have them render out together, then use your folder of images to create a compressed proxy in premiere.  Anytime you make changes to the folder of images, just create a new proxy.  For 1hour of 1080 video, two machines took about 4 hours to create full jpeg images, and then about 10s to create a proxy.  Afterward, I just worked with the proxy, but when it came time to render, I was able to attach the higher quality images, and render out the compressed final a lot faster.

Whenever I start a composition, I balance and correct using after effects first.  Then I use an H264 proxy in Premiere to cut.  It's faster that way, and when I finish I reattach the main files, and render out.  For most effects I use after effects, attach the full again, then create a new proxy.  I can see the effect in after effects in full quality, then I drop it out to premiere in a proxy to preview the compressed quality, and I know what I'm getting.  It's as simple as that.  If the effect is small enough, there's no need for AE--simple transitions, split screens, or custom views are easy in premiere, and in H.264 are fast enough.  For fine detail, There's no sub for the capability of AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You truly are a legend, Jeff. I hope you made sure to brag about your achievement to your IRL friends

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff; You're getting slow in your old age.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2008 Oct 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey David,

If you have after effects and you are looking for that old film effect, video copilot has an excellent tutorial.

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/old_film_look/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt, Thanks for noticing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess this is one of those instances, where I was supposed to go to Eddie's wiki site and read the 16 questions, and then report back :-P

Seriously, yes, I should read more. For those who are interested here is the official answer: ( so the effect in fact does exactly the opposite of what you think it would do, - it does not -add- dust and scratches, it tries to eliminate them.

Dust & Scratches effect
The Dust & Scratches effect reduces noise and defects by changing dissimilar pixels within a specified radius to be more like their neighboring pixels. To achieve a balance between sharpness of the image and hiding defects, try various combinations of radius and threshold settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

:P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Seriously, yes, I should read more. For those who are interested here is the official answer: ( so the effect in fact does exactly the opposite of what you think it would do, - it does not -add- dust and scratches, it tries to eliminate them.

It doesnt do the opposite if what I assumed it did. Most folk want to clean up their video, so it is logical to me. And it does the same thing as it's PS cousin filter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used it, so the question never came up. But like David I assumed it was for adding "old film" effects to your footage. (Probably an assumption left over from my Matrox days, which had an effect which did just that.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look here:

http://www.stevengotz.com/filmgrain.htm
artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines