10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2007 6:49 AM by (ESC_in_KC)

Aspect HD Question

Level 1
      Hi, My question:- Will Aspect HD improve capture and output to DVD? (speed,quality, versatility, scene detect, etc)
      I intend upgrading from PPro 1.5 and Encore to PPro CS3.
      I'm currently producing SD projects (wedding DVD's)and havn't used seperate plugins, I've read the blurbs on Aspect, Mainconcept MPEG Pro and Matrox RT X2 and feel I could use on or other as I've upgraded to a Canon XH A1 for HD output.
      SYSTEM:- Dell dimension XPS Intel P4 3.2 Ghz.
      Windows XP SP2
      2 gig dual ch DDR2
      500 gig sata raid 0 stripe 7200
      256 MB nVidia Geforce 6800 GTO.
      Any advice on choice would be appreciated,
      Thanks,
      Tim O'Dwyer
        • 1. Re: Aspect HD Question
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
          With your slower, out of date PC (no offense), you would be happier with using Cineform Aspect HD over trying to edit native HDV.

1. Capture and Scene Detect

Aspect HD comes with HDLink which allows you to scene detect while capturing. Premiere Pro does not.

2. Quality

If you are sharing video between programs, it is very likely that Aspect HD will provide a better quality.

3. Versatility

I am not sure what you expect, but it does make interfacing with After Effects better.
          • 2. Re: Aspect HD Question
            Level 1
            Tim I was never excited about Cineform until I tried it.

Boy was I surprised! I am in the middle of a short film and I am testing Cineform with PPRO and the Panasonic HVX 200.

Today I did more tests and I was able to take 4 video tracks of DVC PRO HD 1440 x 1080 plus an additional 3 title tracks and play them real time...

Ok so I have a RAID but without Cineform I do not achieve results like this at all. It exports fast and quality is as good as you get!

I am happy and would recommend it :-)
            • 3. Re: Aspect HD Question
              Level 1
              Steven,
              No offence taken, I just dont have the cash to come up to date yet.
              I'll have to check with dell to see how I can upgrade without breaking the bank.
              Looks like Cineform is the one for me.

Howard,
              Thanks for the feedback on your experience. Based on this I'll probably go for Cineform.

Thanks Guys,
              Tim.
              • 4. Re: Aspect HD Question
                Level 1
                Tim I suggest you download the demo and test it out first: http://www.cineform.com/products/Downloads/Downloads.htm

The Cineform realtime effects (or lack thereof) can be a little offputting but I promise you the joy of editing really fast makes up for it.

Got me hook line and sinker... :-)
                • 5. Re: Aspect HD Question
                  Level 1
                  Howard,
                  Thanks again. I'll go for the demo as soon as I've upgraded to CS3.
                  Tim.
                  • 6. Re: Aspect HD Question
                    Level 1
                    > I'll go for the demo as soon as I've upgraded to CS3.

Yes, try the demo after you upgrade to CS3. CFHD increases file size about
                    about 3x, which increases demand on the disk, but the CPU requirements are
                    significantly reduced, so I would expect a performance increase, even on
                    aging system.

Also, tech support is very responsive, and there are some helpful users and
                    user forums. If you have problems, others will help you.

Best,
                    Christopher
                    • 7. Re: Aspect HD Question
                      For those who use this: I am filming and edting in HD, but still some of the stuff is ending up on regular DVDs, and it doesn't look good (i am exporting to avi then converting to MPG2 in ProCoder, and the results are a slightly fuzzy, blurry image). Will Aspect improve this? If so, how? Do you actually export using an Aspect codec? Or is this an intermediary codec. I read the product page specs, and couldn't determine this.
                      • 8. Re: Aspect HD Question
                        Level 1
                        > CFHD increases file size about
                        about 3x

There are 5 different quality settings to chose from the highest one being Film Scan 2 which has very large files. On High Quality the files are pretty close to the original but the difference is the Cineform files are VBR which is why size could increase.

The increase in my timeline performance is worth it, HDD's are pretty cheap.
                        • 9. Re: Aspect HD Question
                          Level 1
                          >For those who use this: I am filming and edting in HD, but still some of the stuff is ending up on regular DVDs, and it doesn't look good (i am exporting to avi then converting to MPG2 in ProCoder, and the results are a slightly fuzzy, blurry image).

I don't think you will see an improvement using Aspect for this issue, as it is an intermediate codec that will mostly speed up your work flow - I'm sure if that is not correct you will hear from others.

What I can tell you from direct experience is that the avi to procoder to SD DVD is not very image-quality friendly. I get much better results going out of PPro using H.264 and then converting to MPG2 in Encore on VBR 7MB 2 pass. Give that a try and see what you think.
                          • 10. Re: Aspect HD Question
                            Level 1
                            > The increase in my timeline performance is worth it, HDD's are pretty
                            > cheap.

Yep. I've been replacing the hard drives in all my systems with 750 GB SATA
                            and PATA drives for $189 (probably lower prices if one bargin hunts).
                            Trading timeline performance for disk space is a bargin for me.

Best,
                            Christopher