• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extracting only audio from files with Premiere Elements?

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2008 Nov 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
My first time on the forums. I wanted to know if it is possible to separate audio from video, (that is, using
Premiere Elements) from digital video files various formats.
My purpose is to create .wav and/or .mp3 sound files, by starting with .avi or other video+sound sources (my own, no copyright problem).
Can Premiere Elements do this, and if so, how?

I have my own music performance films which were made as films not for the video but because the digital sound quality was so good, but I would like to be able to get the sound out, re-save it as sound files without the video, and then re-use it as background soundtracks for some new video projects.
Any ideas? My e-mail is jgibsosman@sbcglobal.net if someone has an answer and can write directly, with a subject line like "Re Premiere Elements Question" or something; also, I will check back here, but am new and unfamiliar with the forum so e-mail instructions would be fine with me.
Thanks.
TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way is to place the video on the timeline and select File/Export/Audio.

You can also use Premiere Elements to simply capture the audio only from your camcorder by selecting the option in the capture workspace. But that depends on what type of camcorder you're capturing from, since only tape-based video can be captured directly into the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some audio editors, such as Goldwave and Audacity, are able to read AVI files and extract the audio from them. You can only save as an audio file (in various formats) of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2008 Nov 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter. I see your reply to this question and have tried Audacity but doesn't seem to be able to load the audio from AVI files. Can you help please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ddongle,

I'd first Export just the Audio (from Premiere Elements) as a WAV file, and then work on that in Audacity.

Two ways to do this:

Render & Replace, or File>Export>Audio. I like the latter, personally, because I have a tad more control, but the former is probably a bit quicker. You just have to find where the Rencer & Replace puts the WAV on your system - should be in the Project folder structure.

This is one of the things I love about Premiere Pro. I just Rt-click on the Audio and choose Edit in Audition - boom, Audition opens, my file is loaded and a Save from Audition will replace the (Render'ed & Replace'ed) file onto the Timeline, in perfect sync. It could not be easier, but I am not advocating purchasing some rather expensive Adobe programs, when you can do the same with but a few extra steps from a program, that you already own, and a freeware Aduio editor.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another easy way to create a WAV file in Premiere Elements for any type of video clip is to use Clip > Audio Options > Render and Replace. That will create a WAV file and replace the audio clip on the timeline with the new WAV file (with any effects applied), which will be conformed to the project. You can even do this batch style by selecting multiple clips on the timeline and then going Clips > Audio Options > Render and Replace. A separate WAV file will be created for each clip you've selected on the timeline.

The wav files will also be available in the media bin, where you can select properties from the pop-up menu to find out where they were saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
>Audacity but doesn't seem to be able to load the audio from AVI files

Yes. I normally use Goldwave, but tried Audacity before posting and it seemed to work also, but I didn't listen to the result. It says importing as MP3 (which it shouldn't) and only noise appears. So it looks like Audacity won't do it after all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines