• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lose "favorites" in Version 6?

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2007 Jan 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I upgrade to version 6, will users lose the ability to bookmark or add to favorites? I know this was a potential problem with version 5.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi flatk

I'm not sure what you mean with this. Are you talking about Internet Explorer 7 by chance? RoboHelp has never had the ability to add to Favorites. And there was never a problem in X5 with creating bookmarks. At least as I know bookmarks. But it sounds like you may have a different idea of what they are.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I was wondering if when we upgrade to version 6, will users lose their current favorites in version 4 after we go the new version. The previous guy before me who was trying to upgrade said users would lose favorites if upgrading to version 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not so much when you upgrade your version of RoboHelp as when you issue the user with a new help file. They will lose their favourites then, regardless of which version you used.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been advised that maybe the favourites aren't lost provided the file name and location remain the same on the user's PC. I'll take a look in the morning (late evening here) or you may want to check that out sooner.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2007 Feb 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick, you are right, if you create a new CHM with exactly the same name and it goes in exactly the same path/folder, then the users favourites are retained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter, so as long as I don't change the location of the path/folder, users can still keep their favorites...that's good news!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Just a little expansion on what has been said here. Things like favorites, tab settings, search history and the position of the CHM window when last closed are kept in the hh.dat file which is unique to each user. This file is typically kept in this path: \Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\HTML Help. It keeps track of all CHM activity, not just one. That's why you can overwrite a CHM file and still retain those settings. If you delete or rename that hh.dat file, Windows will just create a new one.

john
John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp