• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flicker removal for slideshows

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2009 Mar 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Premiere Elements 7. I discovered after burning my slideshow that the photos flicker on the TV screen, which looks horrible.

The FAQ says you can try and reduce this using flicker removal, but when I right-click on the pictures, "Field Options" is grayed out. Does anyone know why this is, and/or how to make it a selectable option? And do I really have to do this with every individual photograph?

Also, the menu flickers as well (it's a still photo)... is there any way to address that?

If it matters, the TV being used is standard def.

I'm shocked that this is even an issue... I just assumed that any half-decent slideshow software should be able to correct this sort of problem automatically.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you right-clicking on the still photos on the timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The menu pops up, and I can see "Field Options," but it's grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only select one photo at a time. If you have more than photo selected, then the flicker removal option will be greyed out.

Here are some excerpts from some of my posts long gone about flicker removal:

I don't know if you remember, but in version 1.0 flicker removal was on by default, but Adobe removed it because everyone complained that their still images weren't as crisp as other video editing applications.

This worked for me. Add the Fast Blur effect and set the direction to Vertical. In PrEl 4.0 try a value of 1.0 or 1.2. I tried values from 0.4 to 1.2 and tested the samples on my TV and found that 1.0 or 1.2 got rid of terrible flickering. You could do something similar using the Gaussian Blur effect, but with different values.

After applying the Fast Blur effect to one Photo, you can easily copy that particular effect in the properties panel for one photo and then Edit > Paste to the others Photos -- unlike the "flicker removal" option that you can only set on photos one at a time. You could try the anti-flicker option in the Motion effect, except that all your panning would have to be the same for each photo if you wanted to copy that effect to the other photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert - Thank you for your post. I don't know what I did, but the "Field Options" menu is now working, and I can select flicker removal.

However, it's going to be a long night if I have to go through every single photo individually.

What a mess... I'm really disappointed with Premiere Elements. Can anyone recommend better slideshow software? :\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ProShow Gold & Producer get good recs. I have not used either, so I cannot comment on them.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all you want to do is create a slideshow, there are a dozen programs that do it better. ProShow Gold is an excellent example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ProShow Gold looks good; thanks for the suggestions. Two things that I really like about Premiere Elements are the menus (especially the motion menus), and it also accepts video. I'm not sure if ProShow Gold does either of those, but if it can produce a decent looking slideshow without flickering, it'll have to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it your not going to try using the fast blur effect? It gives the exact same results as the flicker removal and can be applied to all photos at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't realize you could apply the fast blur to all photos at the same time... I'll give it a shot. Thanks. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my previous post in this thread for the settings to use. I wrote the instructions for Pre 4, but still should work the same for pre 7.

What you do is copy the fast blur effect in the properties panel for the first photo. After selecting the Fast Blur effect in the properties panel, go to the main menu and select Edit > Copy. Then select all the other photos on the timeline, and then do an Edit > Paste. That's about the only way it will work. And it works that way for all effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert - It worked. Thank you very much. I found no way to paste the effect onto all the photos at once, but it didn't take too long to right-click each photo, hit P to paste attributes, rinse and repeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to do each one individually.

You must have missed my previous post about how to copy and paste to all photos.

The paste attributes works on all selected photos as well, but all effects applied to the source clip are pasted to the other photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw your note, but I wasn't able to select all of the photos and paste the effect (in Timeline mode, anyway... I don't remember if I tried switching to Storyboard). Perhaps it's different with PE7, or perhaps I missed something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep trying. I just did it in Premiere Elements 7. There's even a FAQ or tip on it somewhere on this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Here's the FAQ: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbdfeb0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines