• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader 8 will not allow me to accept or decline license

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2007 Jun 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downloaded Reader 8.0 four time in the last day from Adobe.com onto this laptop (Windows XP on a Gateway Pentium 4 notebook, 504 MB RAM) and run into the same problem every time. I get to the point where I must accept or decline the license agreement, and neither button works. The only thing I can do is close the window, so I no longer have a working copy of Reader on this machine.

I tried downloading 8.0 on a desktop machine on the same home network, and it loaded just fine. I turned off the Avast! antivirus program, I cleared the temp directory, I emptied the trash - what should I do next?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 179 Replies 179
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read the comments on the possibility of having a beta version of IE7; however, I just updated IE on this laptop yesterday as well, so I doubt it's a beta edition. I will uninstall and reinstall it, but how will I get to the internet to download it? Should I download Firefox or Netscape and use that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2007 Jun 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted Reader again and used Firefox to download and reinstall Reader 8, but it still won't let me click on "Accept" or "Decline." I have not deleted and reinstalled IE7, should that be my next step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled Adobe Reader, IE7 and reinstalled both of them. I still cannot "Accept" or "Decline" the License Agreement. What do I do now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theer is evidently something different about your setup since otherwise no-one would be able to get Reader...

Would it be possible to do a screen gran and put on a place like photobucket or flickr so you can post the URL so others can take a look.

peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2007 Jun 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can try but I'm not sure what you're asking. Exactly what screen is it you think I need to post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one where you are shown the EULA (License Agreement) and where you need to Accept to launch Reader.

Are you using XP SP2?
Is is an English language OS?
Is it an English language Reader?
Can you try on the latests Reader, 8.1.

peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I am running XP SP2 and it's in English, as is the reader. The version I've downloaded is 8.1, I'm told. However, I noticed that, when I downloaded from the website to my desktop computer (same network) that the EULA screen looked a slight bit different, mainly the language drop-down box.

Can you get to this link? http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=166109474/PictureID=3328295526/a=30706346_30706346/t_=30706346

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link works fine - thanks.. Do any of the 4 buttons do anything at all -
Print, Save, Accept or Decline?

In your first posting you said you had downloaded 8.0 - so based on the last post you now have downloaded 8.1 and have tried that and there is no difference?

peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, the icon and the file location calls it version 8 but the Properties page says it is version 8.1. I can't open the program to get more information than that, since I can't get past the EULA page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

In the same boat as Jim upgrading to 8.0 using Firefox 2.0.0.4 and yes all four buttons (Print, Save, Accept, Decline) do not work. The drop down menu to select English (US)and the scroll bar do work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, none of the buttons are functional. The only thing I can do is click on the red "X" in the corner, which calls up a dialog box that notes that the agreement was not accepted, so the program closes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enzone45 - you have the problem with Reader 8 or is this the recent upgrade to 8.1. What version were you upgrading from?
Jim - you have what seems like the same problem with Reader 8.1

peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my mistake Peter, checked I upgraded to 8.1 from 8.0; in the same boat with Jim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another comment - I can scroll through the language bar, but the language in the text of the EULA never changes from English. Maybe that helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you both have installed Reader 8.1 but unable to accept the EULA... OK. I assume that there was no such issue with your Reader 8?

peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct on my end Peter, I was completely satisfied with Reader 8 until the Acceptance bungles of 8.1. I'm tempted to uninstall 8.1 and reinstall 8.0 to at least view PDF files again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim - did you have Reader 8 on your system before updating to 8.1? Or did you have any other previous version?

peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a much earlier version (7, I think) before trying to download "8" a few days ago. If I had 8.0 before 8.1, it was all done on the same day within hours of each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2007 Jun 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to see if there is a pattern here with both your problems - so see if the way you got to your problem was the same.

Jim - it would be very helpful if you could recall if you had previously installed Reader 8. Adobe stopped offering Reader 8 (English) on its website on Tuesday, June 5th - since 8.1 came out on that day.

peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Guys, I have the same problem. I never installed ver 8.0, but when my reader version looked for updates it found 8.1. I downloaded it fine...It installed fine...now I can't get past the License agreement at all. I have the same results as these guys describe. I tried removing all of Reader 8 and then reinstalling....same results. What to do.???
Helen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must not have downloaded version 8 if Adobe pulled it on June 5, as I first tried to download "version 8" on June 10. I would assume all I've downloaded has been version 8.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that I did not download version 8 prior to trying to put up version 8.1. I was running a version 7.? until yesterday.
Helen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just now tried to get past the license agreement again. When there I was able to select a language other than English US and, in fact, the scroll box did scroll and I was able to select a different language. The language used in the agreement did not change however. The License Agreement was still displayed in English. Don't know if that helps figure this out. I have three other computers here in the house (the one I'm working on is the main desk-top unit). I'm scared to try to upgrade them. Should I do it, or will I just be in trouble again?
hpn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines