• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe reader 9 plugin crashes

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2008 Jul 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the replacement of Adobe Reader 8 by Reader 9 the Adobe PDF plugin crashes the browser (Firefox 3 and Internet Explorer 7) after loading the PDF an a new TAB. When I disable the plugin in Firefox, Firefox does not crash any more but the PDFs open in Adobe Reader outside the browser.

Windows XP SP3, Adobe Reader German version.

Any ideas ?

Regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2008 Aug 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.

Vista Home Premium SP1

IE7 (all patches)

Everything was fine with Reader 8.1.2. Then I installed 9.0 (after uninstalling 8.1.2) and now when I cilck on a PDF in IE7, the window clears up, the PDF downloads and ...

drum roll.

IE7 crashes and needs to restart.

This used to work just fine before 9.0.

(off topic: I am just surprised that this issue has not appeared more on this forums, a google search reveals users with similar problems even in Firefox 3. Am I doing anything wrong?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2008 Sep 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with about 45 computers on our LAN. Adobe please fix this!

XP Pro SP2 (a few SP3)
IE 6 and IE 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

URGENT -- CANNOT DOWNLOAD ANY PDF FILE SINCE INSTALLED ADOBE READER 9

DOWNLOAD BOX DISAPPEARS AFTER I PRESS DOWNLOAD FROM THE DOWNLOAD BOX.
WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM

since I downloaded Adobe reader 9 -- i cannot open a singe pdf file that was easy to open under Adobe reader 8. Every time I download the next version of adobe reader I have this issue. I've done very step in the help section. I'm on Vista Home Premium. Adobe please install a fixtools that can fix this issue on your site -- like a fix-it doctor. The download box disappears when I after press download box download key every single time. Popup blocker is off, protection on or off doesn't matter in the Tools internet option.

URGENT PLEASE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue. with Win XP SP-2 Win SP-3 and Win Vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2008 Sep 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should download the google browser and fix the plugin. Currently the PDF links crash it or slow it down to a standstill. Google seems to have been working at the bug for 11 days now.

Personally I just want things to work and I think it's taking way to long.

Here are the bug reports:

http://groups.google.com/group/google-chrome-help/search?q=PDF&start=100&sa=N&scoring=d&num=100&

Good luck,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2008 Dec 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using IE7 with Acrobat Reader 9 and am having the same problem, whenever I try to open a .pdf file it tells me that "The Adobe/Acrobat reader that is running can not be used to view PDF files in a web browser. Adobe Acrobat/reader is required. Please exit and try again." I am using Reader 9, is there a file that needs to be updated to TELL it that it is there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2008 Dec 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem. What I must do now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2009 Jan 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are all having the same problem. With IE 7, Adobe Reader 9 will not open any files. Have tried the plugin route only to find that there is no patch. Adobe is not listening to the problem. Send fix if you find one to michelle.iseman@vitesse.ca.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2009 Jan 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar issues with Firefox - currently running 3.0.5. Since I've upgraded to Adobe Reader version 9, Firefox will no longer load PDF files in the browser. Instead it displays an error dialog that says,
"The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running can not be used to view PDF files in a Web Browser."

I've verified that the plug-in in the "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Browser" - nppdf32.dll - is the same files that is in the browser's plug-ins directory - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins. The files have the same date.

Sounds like there's a major problem with this plug-in.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2009 Jan 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem on my daughter's laptop (Vista SP1 and IE7) until I turned off User Account Control. However, since I don't want to leave that turned off on her laptop, I will be uninstalling Adobe Reader 9 and re-installing 8.1.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2009 Feb 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the fixed for my computer. Hope this will help.<br /><br />Open the Adobe Reader 9<br />Open the <Edit> menu and select <Preferences><br />On the left window, Select <Internet> Categories<br />Make sure to UNCHECK the "Display PDF browser"<br />Ok then exit Adobe.<br /><br />It's work now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2009 Feb 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you. The solution posted by HungNguyen solved my longstanding problem. Acrobat 9 Professional, when trying to view an online PDF, would crash IE6 on my work computer. I simply could not view or download a pdf, unless it was a tiny file. I tried many solutions, but this one fixed the problem.

Oddly, I have had no problem with Acrobat 9 Standard on my home computer with Firefix or with IE7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2009 Feb 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum completely sucks. What am I missing in that I do NOT see anybody from Adobe bothering to check this forum and give the "approved" solution to what is obviously a change in how their code worked in previous versions?????

I have seen the same thing. Error message is:

The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a Web Browser. Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 8 or 9 is required. Please exit and try again.

As if that will get you a resolution. HA! No disrespect to HunNgyen there, but his "solution" is NOT one. Only thing his solution does is open the file in Adobe itself, instead of opening in a browser window. This is called a "work around" NOT a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2009 Feb 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>What am I missing in that I do NOT see anybody from Adobe bothering to check this forum and give the "approved" solution to what is obviously a change in how their code worked in previous versions?????

As stated, this is a User to User forum. Not an official channel to Adobe tech support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2009 Feb 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem after installing Reader 9 over Acrobat 6 Pro and uninstalling Pro 6. Resolution came with uninstalling Reader 9 and reinstalling. I think the last uninstall removed old plugins from Pro 6 and allowed access to newer plugins that work with 9. Seems to work fine now with IE7, Chrome, and Firefox 3.0.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2009 Feb 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the Adobe Reader 9<br />Open the <Edit> menu and select <Preferences><br />On the left window, Select <Internet><br />UNCHECK the "Allow fast web view"<br />Click <Ok> then exit Adobe.<br /><br />There is a bug in the browser plugin that causes it to crash when attempting to display the first few pages of a PDF will still downloading the document. This will force the plugin to wait till the whole document is downloaded before displaying any pages.<br /><br />Or possibly something wrong in the PDF code of certain documents. Someone smarter than me can try and work this out and possible improve the compatibility of Reader with documents that are not necessarily created by Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2009 Feb 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just followed all the steps in this link, including regedit, and finally (FINALLY) got to see Reader 9.0 PDFs in both Firefox & IE!

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=328233&sliceId=2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2009 Mar 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this really helps,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2009 Jul 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes the following is found to be needed: replacing \windows\system32\ace.dll with the adobe one in \program files\adobe ...... reader\ace.dll has been said to work.  Really ugly fix - hopefully someone at Adobe corrects this issue in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2009 Nov 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For us to fix this issue remove the following dll files from the C:\windows\system32:

ace.dll
AGM.dll
BIB.dll
BIBUtils.dll
JP2KLib.dll

FIX: A batch script would be something like this:
move /y %windir%\system32\ace.dll %windir%\system32\ace.dll.old
move /y %windir%\system32\AGM.dll %windir%\system32\AGM.dll.old
move /y %windir%\system32\BIB.dll %windir%\system32\BIB.dll.old
move /y %windir%\system32\BIBUtils.dll %windir%\system32\BIBUtils.dll.old
move /y %windir%\system32\JP2KLib.dll %windir%\system32\JP2KLib.dll.old

Do search conflicting dll files.

----

Go to:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\

You'll see dll files in there such as ace.dll

1.) Now do a search on the rest of your hard drive looking for ace.dll

2.) If you find other ace.dll files, then compare the 2 versions. (The version in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader will probably be the newest version)

3.) Backup then remove older version as it will cause problems.

4.) Do this will each dll file in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\

The list of dll files that were older version for us were: ace.dll, AGM.dll, BIB.dll, BIBUtils.dll, JP2KLib.dll

Also See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLL_hell

http://www.bitsum.com/aboutwfp.asp

You should probably before hand also check if they are in the following folders and subfolders and remove them as well:

XP & 2000:

c:\windows\system32\dllcache\

Vista:

c:\Windows\winsxs\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2009 Dec 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thank you goslackware

You're a genius!!!

That fixed my problem! We had this problem on lots of PCs where I work. I've being trying to solve it for weeks. It looks like the problem was caused by some software we have called Text Help - Read and Write, which had old versions of lots of those dlls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2010 Jan 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an update to my original message.  Our Ahlta msi installer installs the older dll files into system32.  When we removed the older dll versions from system32, on the next reboot the Ahlta msi checked for the older dll files- it didn't find them there of course, and prompted with a Ahlta reinstallation.  So, instead what we're doing is leaving the older dll files in system32 folder for the Ahlta program, and instead have copied the newer adobe 5 dll files mentioned above to the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer folder. If the registry value (SafeDllSearchMode) is set to 1, then programs will search their current folder before looking into system32.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SafeDllSearchMode

If the above is set to 0, you can change it to one with reg.exe, or instead just create a .local file.  For example an empty local file:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe.local

If C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe finds the .local file, it will check its own directory before checking system32, regardless of the SafeDllSearchMode value.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682586(VS.85).aspx

Example:

xcopy C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\ACE.dll C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\

xcopy C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\ACE.dll C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\

Do that with each dll, also I made a blank .local file for for iexplore.exe and filefox.exe then copy them over:

xcopy iexplore.exe.local C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\

xcopy firefox.exe.local C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\

good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2010 Jan 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script we run is here attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2010 Feb 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. That made it really easy to build a package to fix the problem, without messing up any other programs.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines