Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot print PDF files on Mac OS X

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2008 Sep 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

since some update from Reader 8.1 to 8.1.2 I cannot print PDF files anymore. Meanwhile I installed Reader 9, but with no luck.

If I crank up the preferences I get the error "Failed to load an application resource (internal error)." ... maybe there is something wrong with the installation, but even an reinstall doesnt fix it.

If I try to print I get only the message "The document could not be printed" and then "There were no pages selected to print." ... no matter what PDF I try to print.

The Apple Preview works without any problems, so the PDFs should be good.

Can anyone help me on this ... its really frustrating.

Best Regards

--Michael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the printer system.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

thanks for the reply ... I did this already.

I also did the following:

- deleted printer and reinstalled it
- repaired file permissions
- deleted font caches
- installed latest HP printer drivers

But no luck.

--Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2008 Sep 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to re-install the latest combo installer of the OS.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

what do you mean by combo installer of the OS? 10.5.5 is already installed if that is what you mean?

--Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The regular installer installs the changes since the last OS version. In
fact, if you update from the Apple Update mechanism you may not even get
the standard installer, but one designed for your machine. The combo
installer gives you a full installer from the first version of the OS
installing everything from scratch. It contains all the parts needed for
any eligible computer. People use the combo installer to re-install what
may have gone flakey since the last install.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2008 Sep 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem. With Reader 8.1.2, I can open the Preferences window but not print ... it says "The document could not be printed.". With Reader 9, I cannot open the Preferences window or print ... exact same messages as listed in the first post.

Also, I installed the combo installer for 10.5.5 and nothing changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2008 Sep 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary,

good to know that I'am not alone with this ... in that case I skip the 600MB combo download we hopefully get more hints to solve this issue.

--Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2008 Sep 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its not printer problem its problem with the adobe software something to do with setting trust you'll be able to print with the old adobe acrobat reader installed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2008 Sep 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Islam,

what do mean "setting trust" ... do you mean file permissions? Fact is even with 8.1.2 I was not able to print, but on my other mac I can without any probs. It's just my MacPro that does not print.

The problem does not looks so uncommon ... questions is "What does Adobe to solve this?".

--Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a fix. The problem isn't solved, but it's a workable work-around: Go to Advanced in the Printer dialog box, and check "print as image." My .pdf files will print now, but a little slower than usual. I'm still looking for knowledge of the underlying problem.
Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jay,

I heard about this "fix" a couple of times ... but it isn't working for me ... does not solve the error while opening the Preferences anyways.

I'am sure it just a simple thing to fix, maybe some permission hickup or missing file ... but I don't know where to look.

--Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2008 Sep 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol i got mines working, i deleted all printer software and adobe acrobat reader making sure everything to do with the printer and adobe acrobat reader is uninstalled then i installed adobe acrobat reader first and then the printer i think anyway or was it vice verso both ways its definitely working, trust me it'll work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2008 Sep 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this problem happening only on Mac OS 10.5.5 or on older OS versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only had this problem on an Intel Mac Pro running 10.5.5. I think it also happened in 10.5.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, Apple changed the default print resolution in OS 10.5.5 from 600dpi to 1200dpi. If you change it back to 600dpi, does it fix the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

setting the resolution to 600dpi does not fix it.

If I remember correctly it started with 10.5.4, maybe 10.5.3, but I'am not 100% sure here, definitly 10.5.4.

I think that the Reader installation is messed up, because I cannot crank up the preferences dialog. But I didn't found any way to fix it.

--Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2008 Sep 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said that reinstalling did not fix the error in Reader 9 when selecting the Preferences menu item: "Failed to load an application resource (internal error)." How exactly did you uninstall and reinstall Reader? This is a separate issue from printing, perhaps you should start a new topic with a more relevant title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2008 Sep 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kirsten,

you are probably right that I should start a 2nd thread about the preferences, but for me its related, because "not printing" and "no preferences" started at the same time.

I tried a couple of uninstall:

- delete the files in the application folder and crank up installer afterwards
- use AppDelete and crank up installer afterwards
- searched the whole hdd for adobe related files, deleted them and installer afterwards

I'am not aware of any offiical uninstaller from adobe.

--Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2008 Nov 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having the same problems on my Mac machines running 10.5.5. I've tried re-installing Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 but I still cannot print PDF files to printer and I cannot open up the Preferences from a non-administrator account.

Has Adobe fixed this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2008 Nov 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if this is a file that was sent to you click on the 'security settings (the lock)' on the left hand side and see what it says - i just rec'd a document that i wanted to print and nothing happened - i tried everything, then i suddenly thought to check the icons on the left side and i had rec'd a document that needs a password (which i had) and then it reads 'you cannot edit, print or copy this document' and there is a 'permission details' section - so i was sent a protected document ... usually i can copy and paste into word, and i could not...so i typed it! when you cannot join them, you can almost always beat them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2008 Dec 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coni,

This is a problem I've experienced on files that have no security settings. I've tried uninstalling the app by simply removing the folder in "Applications" and I've also tried to remove the app by using a utility like AppDelete. In either case, reinstalling the app does not fix the problem. This is a problem only on machines running the 10.5.x operating system; I can print from Acrobat Reader on my old 10.4.x machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2008 Dec 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

Register one more with the problem, and all suggested solutions in this forum have been tried. I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.6, with the latest Adobe Installer and updates. I too would be interested in seeing Adobe fix this, and their other non-conforming software such as the OS X mixed-case file system problems, (Adobe doesn't support POSIX either,) instead of chastising their users.

Adobe, just fix your software and quit blaming your users.

Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2009 Jan 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, have the exact same problem: both with the printing and the preferences.

On printing, I get "The Document Could Not Be Printed".

On attempting to open the Preferences, I get "Failed to load an application resource".

I've tried all the above suggestions for removing and re-installing printer drivers and Acrobat, but no change.

How can someone log a problem with Adobe? This has been a problem in the last 3 versions for me, and many others it would seem. It's obviously common enough that something should be done about it. If Adobe wants Acrobat to be a standard, and the only way to manipulate their documents is with their software, then they have to support their software.

Does anyone from Adobe even check these forums for input to the QA or improvement processes?

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2009 Jan 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh, I just solved this problem. I removed all my network printers, reconnected, then set one of them as default (Adobe was default before). Voila, works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines