• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

the acrobat reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a browser

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2008 Sep 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The subject says it all. I'm unable to open a link to a pdf file.
I'm using Mozilla on a Win 2000 machine.
Version 8.1.2 worked fine. I see some people have reverted back to this version. Is that the only fix?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2008 Sep 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue here; using Windows XP; IE7 and Adobe Reader v9

'The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running can not be used to view PDF files in a Web Browser. Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 8 or 9 is required. Please exit and try again.'

De-installed and reinstalled but it still continues giving the same error at each online PDF i want to open.

This is -obviously- a rather no-go stopper for me: whats the use of a pdf reader which cannot read online pdfs ..

HBE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2008 Sep 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears reader v9 is an incomplete program. It will not operate as it's supposed to. Adobe does not offer support for it other than this un-moderated forum. We are left to figure it out ourselves. After reading many threads on this problem and not finding a solution at the home page for adobe, I've gone with the popular consensus and uninstalled v9 and reinstalled v8.1.2, which now displays pdf documents in my browser as it did before.
Adobe is partnered with MS and is following their lead by only offering paid support. They produce half baked products that don't work and then ignore any requests for help unless you show them the money. They are as arrogant and ignorant as their master.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Bob_Bell for the very handy tip on this forum.  Thank God

there are people like yourself ready to do what Adobe's employees

should be doing: Helping their users! Your tip worked well for me! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2008 Sep 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The funny thing is I used to have a bad opinion of Reader 4 and 5, using Foxit and special plugin strippers then available. With the last couple of versions of Reader I thought they'd got there act together - they worked fine in IE7, Firefox 3 and so when I saw Acrobat Reader 9 was available I installed it immediately - big mistake.

I suspect they'll get it fixed sooner or later but in the meantime ... I'm glad I kept a copy of the previous version's installer. (I did notice that with previous version 8 checking for updates available did NOT say anything about version 9)

Sadder, but wiser ... back to version 8 :-[

Edit add: just checked ... if you have add-on IE View it appears that PDFs are displayed just find (and quickly) in it!
I guess maybe I will leave Adobe 9 installed for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2008 Oct 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is runing con not be used to view PDF files in a Web Browser Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 8 of 9 required. Please exit and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

M.K.MURTHY,

What OS and what version of Acrobat/Reader. Have you tried updating to
the latest version of Acrobat/Reader? Sometimes it helps to do what the
error message says.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob..try the solutions in this TechNote:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=333563

If you have uninstalled Reader then you need to go to C://Program files/adobe/....and delete all the leftover folders. Then when you reinstall you will perhaps have better results. You probably have folders left from your previously installed versions as well. (which will give you an opportunity to complain about the shoddy Acrobat uninstall). If all else fail go to your Preferences in Reader and on the left click on Internet...then on the right UNCHECK Display PDF in Browser. This will cause all online pdfs to open in the Reader program instead of the browser. No doubt you will find something lacking in this solution as well. Best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AM DEAF DUMB. YOU HELP GIVE ME VIEW PDF FILES IN A WEB BROWSER ADOBE ACROBAT/READER VERSION 8 OF 9 REQUIRED. PLEASE EXIT AND TRY AGAIN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2008 Oct 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same error message - complete rubbish to have released it without testing this. Anyway, I deleted Reader 9 and reinstalled 8 and updated it, still got the error message, so followed the suggestions here from Gene and deleted the left over Adobe Reader 9 folder in the Programs folder. Works a treat now and opens in the browser - I don't want to have Reader files having to open outside the browser - how messy is that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2008 Nov 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Support page of Adobe website and enter "the acrobat reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a browser" or knowledgebase ID "kb405461" in the search box. TechNote on the issue and solutions will be provided.

I was able to open the document directly from Acrobat/Reader, bypassing the browser by following Solution 2.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2008 Nov 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the Adobe customization tool to make a transform for the .msi file for an automated install. It looks like the registry information referred to in Solution 1 in the above KB is not being written to the registry. There is a different entry in the .msi, but nothing gets generated.

When I attempt to add the key via the transform, it fails to add anything. When I add it using a reg add command (or manually), it works.

Kind of reminds me how Adobe Reader 8 totally horked up the registry permissions so that Adobe Acrobat Pro 7 would fail to install unless a Microsoft tool was run to reset the permissions. Plainly visible when looking at the .msi using an advanced msi editor.

Remember when we could trust these guys? For what they are getting for an Acrobat Pro license, this is inexcusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2008 Dec 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ashley,

We have had the same issue you are having. I have also used Adobe's customization tool and made a transform. However after that we had to open that transform in Wise Package Studio (we use it for all MSI packaging) and add the registry keys from Solution one to solve this problem. This worked for us. Procedure is basically to create this key manually on a test PC and make sure that it works. Then export this key from the registry and go to Wise Package Studio, open previously created transform and select HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and right-click to import .REG file. At this time point to your exported reg file and you will be asked to integrate the registry keys properly by Wise Package studio. Accept that change and save your new transform. This worked for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2008 Dec 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tracked down one possible solution. YMMV.

In the Adobe Customization Wizard 9, on the Installation Options page, there are three choices for "Default viewer for PDF files":
*Installer will decide which product will be the default
*Make Acrobat the default if both Acrobat and Reader are installed.
*Make Reader the default if both Acrobat and Reader are installed.

If I leave it as Installer decides (top), it seems fine. If I choose Acrobat (middle), I get the error. I'd been choosing Acrobat under the assumption that someone with Acrobat 9 might elect to install Reader 9. And I do prefer sentences that end with a period. ;)

This is on a virtual machine with XPSP2, no Adobe products (other than Flash 10 and customization wizard), .NET 2.0, Windows Installer 3.1, MSIE 6, and a few other products. Neither Reader nor Acrobat prior to install -- clicking on a PDF in MSIE would offer to download the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2008 Dec 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI i'm new and i have problem is that look i want to eliminate adobe readeer 8.1.2 to installe again but when I try to supr appears this "no se puede eliminar la clave \.rmf. compruebe que dispone de suficientes derechos de acceso a esa clave o pongase en contacto con el personal de soporte tecnico" is in spanish the problem is that adobe can'tunistalled and i don't how to unistalled the program thaNKS FOR YOUR ATTENTION

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2009 Jan 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received the same message, too, after I downloaded and installed Reader v9.0. However, then I opened Reader by itself, separately, and it appeared to "finish" installing. Once it had finished, I had no problem in either Firefox or Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2009 Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this problem before coming to this forum. Then taking the advice from here, I first uninstalled my Reader v9.0. Then as Gene suggests (post #6), I deleted the folders under Adobe Reader 9.0. Then I reinstalled v9.0 and before doing anything else, I opened the Reader v9.0 by itself as suggested by Kenneth above (post #14). I accepted the terms and when the Reader seemed to have finished coming up for the first time, I closed it and then opened my Firefox browser. Everything works fine now. Thanks to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2009 Feb 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As regards the Adobe Customization Wizard and problems reported by Denis Hubanic and Richard Finegold in earlier posts, it seems this registry setting
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe
is being written conditional upon the Property

DEFAULT_VERB = (Read/Open) = Use READER or WRITER to open a PDF.

So if you choose Writer in the Wizard, then the Property DEFAULT_VERB = Open and nothing is written to
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe

If you choose Reader then DEFAULT_VERB = Read and the registry key is written correctly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2009 Jul 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure where Chris got his information about the Customization Wizard and registry entries. We built a transform based on using Reader as the default .pdf handler, changing only the EULA options and the auto-update.  The package was deployed successfully after we built a workaround to fix the 9.1.2 update bug Adobe has yet to truly address. Currently all the Reader 9.1.2 computers are having this same issue, and the registry entry outlined here and in http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405461.html does not appear to make a difference even after reboot. We tried to install the entry both through the transform and manually with no luck.  The only working solution appears to be manually configuring the Reader options to handle PDF files from web browsers separately and not in the browser, but with over 100 computers to update and support this is not really a feasible option.  Is there a way to push the preference change out to multiple computers, or are we just stuck with a lengthy workaround due to Adobe's refusal to fix their own product?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2009 Feb 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this issue as well with Firefox 3.0.6 and AR 9.0.0 on WinXP SP3. I closed Firefox, ran the repair process on AR, opened AR (which didn't prompt for anything), closed AR, then launched Firefox. The problem is gone. Thanks guys!

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2009 Feb 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help! I don't know the first thing about computer programs, but you all made the instructions easy to follow! I uninstalled 9 and installed 8....no more problems opening PDF in browser!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2009 Mar 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Acrobat Reader 9 and Acrobat 8 installed on your computer, or previously had Reader 8, you might also have issue with older version of plugin in the Firefox folder.

Thank you to Gene Hutton, who posted link to

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=333563

This is what helped me (pay attention to the version of dll in the plugins folder):

The Acrobat PDF plug-in (Nppdf32.dll) installs to the following folders:

-- Acrobat: Adobe/Acrobat 8.0/Acrobat/Browser

-- Adobe Reader: Adobe/Acrobat 8.0/Reader/Browser

-- Acrobat and Adobe Reader: Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/plugins

If you select a PDF file after installing the plug-in, the PDF file will download to the browser's Temp folder, and the browser will open Acrobat or Adobe Reader to display the file within the browser window. The Acrobat toolbar at the top of the browser window is an indicator that the PDF plug-in installed correctly.

If a PDF file doesn't display properly, then you may need to manually move the Acrobat PDF plug-in to the browser's plug-ins folder, if the plug-in isn't installed there automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2009 Mar 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I FOUND A SIMPLE SOLUTION--I'M RUNNING VISTA AND ADOBE READER 9:

Like the rest of you I was getting this error message:
"The Adobe Acrobat/Reader is running can not be used to view PDF files in a web browser. Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 8 or 9 is required. Please exit and try again."

Here's the simple solution:
1. Open Adobe 9
2. Select Help on main Toolbar
3. Select "Repair Adobe Reader Installation"

It's working fine for me now.

Hope this saves someone the time that I wasted trying to figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The Adobe Acrobat/Reader is running can not be used to view PDF files in a web browser. Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 8 or 9 is required. Please exit and try again."

Here's the simple solution:
1. Open Adobe 9
2. Select Help on main Toolbar
3. Select "Repair Adobe Reader Installation"

Yes, but make sure that all previous versions of Acrobat and Reader have been removed from your computer.

I had on Vista Acrobat Reader 5 and 9 because sometimes was problem with printouts in duplex on Acrobat Reader version 7,8 and 9.

You can have more then one version of adobe reader on your computer.

I had to uninstall this Acrobat Reader 5 and select Repair Adobe Reader Installation on Adobe Reader 9.3.3 version.

Success.

Michał

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2010 Sep 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's Support page for KB 405461 helped me with the following:

1. Go to Start > Run
  2. Type regedit and click OK.
  3. Go to Edit > New > Key and create the missing HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe.
  4. Go to Edit > New > String Value and name this key (Default).
  5. Select (Default), and then go to Edit > Modify. Type the default path (listed above) in the "Value data" for your product.
  6. Restart your computer.

for some funny reason, the executable was pointing to non-existing folder of 'Adobe Version 7'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines