Exit

IE7 problem after update to 9.1

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2009 Mar 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XP Pro SP3 fully updated
IE7 fully updated

After updating to 9.1 IE7 always gives me the "encountered a problem and needs to close" message when I close an EMPTY (about:blank) browser.
If I browse to any web page I can close IE7 normally without error.

I notice this because I do not have any home page set other than about:blank and I always open an empty browser to delete browsing history and then close it again still empty.

It is definitely caused by the 9.1 version. I rollbacked the update and the problem went away. As the update had removed 9.0, I reinstalled 9.1 from scratch (not an update) and the problem came back.

I have removed 9.1 again and the problem has gone.

I do not want to go back to 9.0 because of the security issues so am currently using another PDF viewer.

Can anyone else reproduce this problem?
Any fixes, workarounds would be greatly appreciated as I prefer adobe to other readers I have tried.
Thanks
Eddie E

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue: 9.1 reader is crashing IE when closing a window. a major annoyance and I phoned Adobe and they ( a rep in the south asia) were not helpful directing me to this forum but said they would make a note of it.

i did uninstall 9.1 and it corrected the problem, however I was left without a reader as 9.0 is erased once it is updated to the "superior" 9.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I was left without a reader as 9.0 is erased

Of course you have to reinstall 9.0 after you uninstalled 9.1 ...

I tried to recreate, but closing IE7 with about:blank in the address bar just closes normally.

Can you find any additional information in the Event Viewer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2009 Mar 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. A solution I found was to disable
"Adobe PDF Link Helper" found under "Tools - Manage Add-ons"
in the "Add-ons currently loaded in IE" section. So far I have not
run into a problem after disabling this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2009 Mar 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem and like Keith Rossman I disabled the PDF Link Helper and this has seemed to have worked, no more problems so far. However it doesn't get to the root of the problem as to why this is happening in the first place. Very annoying I think you'd agree!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2009 Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all. I have reinstalled 9.1 and disabled PDF Link Helper as suggested and the problem is fixed. As Jonathan says it does not get to the root of the problem and, presumably, deactivating PDF Link Helper must have some down side. Does anybody know what it's supposed to do?
Thanks Again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2009 Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem - the disabling fix worked for me. I am using IE 6. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2009 Mar 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that this is definitely 100% a problem with the Adobe PDF Link Helper which is a Browser Helper Object. The error problem occurs even after completely uninstalling Adobe Reader 9.1 and then reinstalling it.
Every time I close my Internet Explorer (Version: 7.0.5730.11) web browser I get the following pop up error:

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Clicking on the data error report link shows:
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 7.0.6000.16791 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 02167c81

Event Viewer has this Application Event ID: 1000
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16791, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x02167c81.

File Location:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll

Registry keys and dependent keys (found by searching for AcroIEHelperShim):
18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3
77AB4812-5411-4EA9-8437-77AD0F230302
2991F100-D9C3-4243-82A2-A718747FC0CF
00020424-0000-0000-C000-000000000046
FDA6EEC2-325B-4E8A-A8C7-1C75DFBE72D5

It seems the only way to fix this problem is to disable the Adobe PDF Link Helper Browser Helper Object in Internet Explorer.
This can be done by choosing Tools-->Internet Options-->Programs tab-->Manage add-ons button-->Click on Adobe PDF Link Helper-->Disable-->OK.

I would hope Adobe will be addressing this important issue and provide a fix soon! I am a software developer myself and wasted too much time on figuring out this problem. I wonder how frustrated non-computer savvy users are when they experience these IE shutdown problems due to this.
I am guessing this bug was introduced due to the rush to get the latest security update implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2011 Jul 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are all of the registry keys the same for every computer, or we should search for ours?

I can confirm that this is definitely 100% a problem with the Adobe PDF Link Helper which is a Browser Helper Object. The error problem occurs even after completely uninstalling Adobe Reader 9.1 and then reinstalling it.
Every time I close my Internet Explorer (Version: 7.0.5730.11) web browser I get the following pop up error:

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Clicking on the data error report link shows:
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 7.0.6000.16791 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 02167c81

Event Viewer has this Application Event ID: 1000
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16791, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x02167c81.

File Location:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll

Registry keys and dependent keys (found by searching for AcroIEHelperShim):
18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3
77AB4812-5411-4EA9-8437-77AD0F230302
2991F100-D9C3-4243-82A2-A718747FC0CF
00020424-0000-0000-C000-000000000046
FDA6EEC2-325B-4E8A-A8C7-1C75DFBE72D5

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/help/ie-9panic attack treatment

It seems the only way to fix this problem is to disable the Adobe PDF Link Helper Browser Helper Object in Internet Explorer.
This can be done by choosing Tools-->Internet Options-->Programs tab-->Manage add-ons button-->Click on Adobe PDF Link Helper-->Disable-->OK.

I would hope Adobe will be addressing this important issue and provide a fix soon! I am a software developer myself and wasted too much time on figuring out this problem. I wonder how frustrated non-computer savvy users are when they experience these IE shutdown problems due to this.
I am guessing this bug was introduced due to the rush to get the latest security update implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2009 Mar 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had very slow printing over the network and Adobe reader 9.1 would lock the user system when pulling a PDF. Our solution was to make sure each PC had XP SP3, if you are running XP.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2009 Mar 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an employee whom upgraded her Adobe Reader to 9.1 and then she started having problems printing pdfs. I have tried several times reinstalling and it doesn't help. I changed her dpi to 600 on the printer as I read it is a temp fix because it is an issue with HP printers which we use. This did speed it up, but not actually fixing the problem. Then a few days later she said she was trying to access pdfs through IE, she gets the message saying there is a problem and it needs to close. So then I decided to make sure she had XP SP3 as stated above. She had SP2 so I upgraded it for her, but that didn't help the IE error. I really don't know what else to try, but it really upsets me that I have wasted so much time trying to figure out what is wrong. Here are the two errors she is getting in event viewer:

Error # 1

source: Application error
event id: 1000
description:
faulting application iexplorer.exe, version 7.0.6.000.16791, faulting module msvcr71.dll, version 7.10.3052.4, fault address 0x00010440

Error # 2

source: Application error
event id: 1001
description:
fault bucket 1138252771

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2009 Mar 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 more thing. I tried disabling the Adobe PDF Link Helper and that didn't do anything either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2009 Mar 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem.And I try to reinstall again.It's work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deployed 9.1.1 to a large number of PCs a few weeks ago and Im starting to get reports of this same problem.  I can comfirm that disabling the add-in makes the problem go away but I have found that I can renable it and the problem has not returned.  Why it would need disabled/renabled after the update even though both IE and the PC have been restarted many times since the update I dont know.

Confirmed IE was hanging, tested several times

Ran IE without add-ons

Confirmed IE did not hang, tested several times

Ran IE normally

Reconfirmed IE hangs, tested several times

Disabled PDF add-in

Renabled PDF add-in

No clue how Im going to determine who is broke and who isnt without them reporting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2011 May 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE HEL

P ME FIX THIS!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2011 Jul 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have this problem with IE7 and what I do now because it is unhelpful is that I no longer use IE as my browser, in fact. I have moved over to Google Chrome browser and so far, to date, I have not had any difficulties at all. This is just one solution but it is the one which has helped me, so I hope you find this useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines