• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The root object is missing or invalid

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2009 Mar 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to open a .pdf file at a website and get the following message... The root object is missing or invalid.

I'm using Adobe Reader 9.1.0. Does anyone know what the fix is to this? Thank you.
The url I went to is:
http://www.doityourselfbankruptcyforms.com/B4%20List%20of%20Creditors%20in%2020.pdf

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2009 Mar 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This file is damaged. Inform the publisher of this document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing the same problem, opening a PDF file from a local HTML page. The PDF file can be opened directly in Adobe Reader, so it is not damaged. The problem appears when the PDF file is opened from a link in an HTML document. Following the error message is what appears to be a path: Local\<some string>, where <some string> is an apparently random collection of characters. In other circumstances (a different version of our software), I get the message "The file is damaged and could not be repaired" followed by a similar path. The error occurs when opening any of our PDF files from a link in the HTML documents. The PDF files can be opened successfully when opened directly, or when opened via a link from some other PDF file. My OS is Windows XP SP3, 32-bit machine. I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro 10.1.1; I've tried Firefox 3.6.18 and Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.17602 My colleagues are using a variety of other machines (Vista, 7) with Adobe Reader.

It sounds to me like the failure occurs when trying to read the temporary downloaded version of the PDF file. The source file itself is not damaged, because I can open it in Reader/Acrobat but the copy that Reader or Acrobat is trying to open appears to be damaged. Given that the same error occurs with IE as with Firefox, I'm doubtful that the problem is the browser. Any information would be appreciated.

Ken Dyall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have the same issue. But it opens well in Chrome and IE 8. But when I open in FF 8.0.1 I get the message"The root object is missing or invalid". Any help would be appreciated on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We found the cause of our particular problem. The web server we were using (a lightweight Python-based server) was trying to open it as a text file rather than as a binary file. This caused the temporary local copy to be truncated, and resulted in the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines