16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2008 6:16 PM by MichaelKazlow

Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb

Level 1
      Would like to ask if someone knows that any setting that would allow the PDF file larger than 2Mb be displayed within web browser IE 7, for some strange reasons, the PDF file will stop download at arround 800 some Kb, and I waited for almost 15 minutes with no further action.
      Back ground info:- MS Vista Home Premium SP1, 2G RAM, over 60G available HDD space, IE Temp file size set to 100M

Appreciated for any help
      -David
        • 1. Re: Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb
          Level 1
          One more back ground info:- Adobe Reader 8.1.2 with AcrobatReaderUpd812_SU1_all.msi installed

-David
          • 2. Re: Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb
            MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            David,

This is not a limitation of MSIE. I suspect your connection is timing out.

Mike
            • 3. Re: Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb
              Level 1
              Hi Mike,
              Thanks for your quick reply.
              I am using hi speed Internet connection with 7Mb down load band width, so time out may not be the cause.
              I have visited a web site that has several different sizes of file, and tried files up to 1.5Mb without any problem, it display the content within a second and the lower right corner shows "done" message... so I really don't know what's the problem.
              Can you think of any other possible cause?

Thanks
              David
              • 4. Re: Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb
                David,

The file you are looking at may be served from a site with a very slow
                connection. In the olden days, I'd have asked if you were using AOL,
                because it would refuse to allow people to download files larger than 2MB.

Mike
                • 5. Re: Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb
                  Level 1
                  Mike,

I do not think its the limitation of down load size, as I try to save that particular file (with size of 2.4MB) on to my HDD, and it completed in 4 Seconds, well, may be I am too picky to insist the content be viewed within the web browser....just bugs me not able to do so!
                  I was visiting the following site
                  http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/en/annual/index.html
                  Any more suggestion from you or others?

Thanks in advance

David
                  • 6. Re: Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb
                    David,

From that site I was able to download 4MB reports into MSIE6 and view
                    it from within the browser using Acrobat 9. If anything it is a
                    limitation of MSIE 7 not the adobe technology. Alas, I won't install
                    MSIE 7 to test for you :-) perhaps someone else will give it a try.

Mike
                    • 7. Re: Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb
                      Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      No problem with IE 7.
                      • 8. Re: Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb
                        Mike I have a similar problem with down loading PDF files larger that 3MB. I have three computers with Win XP, IE7 and 56K connection. I have tried to down load three different PDF files from the same source - 1.3MB 2.3MB and 5.3MB. The Computer with Reader 7.0 downloads and opens all files. The computers with Reader 8.1.2 and 9.0 downloads and opens the smaller files but stop at 3.2 MB on the larger file with an error message "The file is damaged and could not be repaired".
                        As fixes to the problem I have tried turning off any accelerators, installing and using Monzilla foxfire (then removed it since I had the same problem), increasing the cash size from 250MB to 1GB, Saving the file to the desktop rather than opening the file. I have not found useful help in Adobe Reader knowledge base.
                        Any suggestions?
                        Carl
                        • 9. Re: Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb
                          Carl,

Can you download the files to disk and open in Reader directly?

Mike
                          • 10. Re: Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb
                            Level 1
                            Mike,
                            I tried to download the 5 MB PDF file to both a zip drive and to a memory stick. The result was the same. The download stopped at 3.2 MB with the same error message as before.
                            Thanks the the follow-up question. Any other suggestions?
                            Carl
                            • 11. Re: Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb
                              Carl,

If you right click and the pdf won't download, then it has nothing to do
                              with Reader since Reader has nothing to do with the file yet. All
                              evidence leads to either a hardware problem or an ISP problem.

How much free space do you have on the computer? How much RAM? And just
                              in case, you might try to delete all the files in temp folders.

Mike
                              • 12. Re: Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb
                                Level 1
                                Mike,
                                I right clicked a 5MB PDF file and saved it. It downloaded 3.5 MB and then stopped with the same error message "the file is damaged and cound not be repaired". As you suggested I deleted all the internet temp files prior to the download.
                                I have 295 GB of stroage on the computer eith 273 GB free. The RAM is 2 GB with 1.3 GB free. I was able to down load larger PDF file with no difficulty using Adobe Reader 7.0 the problems started when I upgraded to version 8.1 and continued with version 9.0.
                                It's a puzzle to me that with three computers all using the same internet provider, the same operating systems (win XP), that the one (the oldes and slowest) using Adobe Reader 7.0 is the only computer that can download larger PDF files without a problem.
                                Thanks
                                Carl
                                • 13. Re: Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb
                                  Level 1
                                  Mike,
                                  I right clicked a 5MB PDF file and saved it. It downloaded 3.5 MB and then stopped with the same error message "the file is damaged and could not be repaired". As you suggested I deleted all the Internet temp files prior to the download.
                                  I have 295 GB of storage on the computer with 273 GB free. The RAM is 2 GB with 1.3 GB free. I was able to down load larger PDF file with no difficulty using Adobe Reader 7.0 the problems started when I upgraded to version 8.1 and continued with version 9.0.
                                  It's a puzzle to me that with three computers all using the same internet provider, the same operating systems (win XP), that the one (the oldest and slowest) using Adobe Reader 7.0 is the only computer that can download larger PDF files without a problem.
                                  Thanks
                                  Carl
                                  • 14. Re: Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb
                                    Carl,

If you are right clicking and you get the same message, then you are not
                                    using Reader at all. It is a problem with the computer. It could be a
                                    problem with virus protection, spyware protection, a corrupted file in
                                    the OS, the list is endless. The only thing we know for sure is that it
                                    is not a Reader problem.

You can try to turn off virus protection for a short period of time and
                                    test the download. Independently you can do the same for your spyware
                                    protection. You can try as a different user and see if it makes a
                                    difference.

Mike
                                    • 15. Re: Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb
                                      Level 1
                                      Mike,
                                      I tried your suggestion of turning off my anti spyware, which is Trend Micro ( have the same program on all three computers). I disabled the whole program and tried both saving and opening various size pdf files. The 2.1MB files open and/or saves fine the 5.1MB and 11MB files both failed.
                                      Do you know if Adobe Reader 7.0 is available to download or can I copy 7.0 from my other computer and install on the computer that currently has Adobe Reader 9.0?
                                      • 16. Re: Can't display PDF file larger than 2Mb
                                        Carl,

Your problem doesn't involve reader. Installing or re-installing reader
                                        won't cure it.

Mike