• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OT font names in Mac OS X Carbon font menus

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2004 Jan 19, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I have my OT/CFF fonts appear in the proper place, with the other Roman fonts in Carbon application font menus under Mac OS X? No matter what variations I try to ring on the font information and encoding, the generated font always ends up either grouped with the Central European fonts or at the very end of font menus. The problem is the same whether I generate the OT font with FontLab or use makeotf.

I posted this same query in the FontLab MSN forum, and the reply I got back was that this was an Apple problem that Apple still hasn't fixed. Yet I notice that Adobe's fonts don't suffer from this problem. What's the magic?
TOPICS
Open Type FDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, there are Adobe fonts that suffer from the problem...
Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I'm afraid so. The responsibility for Adobe/Apple font liaison is just now transitioning away from me to Christopher Slye, but I made a nice list of outstanding issues for him and our test team to follow up on, and this is on it.

As I've written elsewhere, the whole notion that we have to identify a "primary" script or codepage for a font is kind of broken in today's world of multi-script fonts. Apple's attempts to do it sometimes mess up, and so do Adobe's. (Some of our applications have similar problems, even outside of OS X.) We hope to revisit the whole issue in the future.

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2004 Jan 30, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is discouraging news. I'm wonderin if there is much point in developing OpenType fonts for the time being if they can't be transparently swapped with other formats. Would there be any point in a small developer such as myself contacting Apple to voice my concerns, and whom would I write to?

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 01, 2004 Feb 01, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I must admit I have no idea what the usual outside methods are for contacting Apple about developer bugs. We have direct access to a bug database, and to Apple personnel.

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines