• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Poss. Fontographer update with Adobe-Macromedia Merger?

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2005 Apr 29, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a graphics software customer of both Adobe and Macromedia for a long time (in Adobe's case, over a decade). Fontographer -originally distributed by Altsys and then acquired by Macromedia- has languished since the summer of 1996. I have an older PC I keep alive just to keep this application running. FOG 4.1.5 glitches out on newer WinXP systems with more than 512MB of RAM.

Anyway, I still like FOG and prefer it in a number of aspects to FontLab. I think it would be great if Adobe could give this once-great but now comatose application some attention. Obviously, Fontographer lacks OpenType TT and OpenTypePS capability. There are a number of other productivity improvements (auto-glyph importing, etc.) I would like to see as well.

FontLab has lots of modern features, such as the ability to create OTFs. Still, I don't like how that program "feels" in its operation. It's a bit on the clunky side. Ultimately, any font designer is going to want smooth interoperability with Illustrator or have the app work much like Illustrator or Freehand. FOG does a lot of that. It's just a 9 year old program badly in need of an update.

I would figure as important as type is to Adobe's business, perhaps Fontographer might be a title they may have more justification to update. I don't think Macromedia gave a hoot about it.
TOPICS
Open Type FDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 01, 2005 May 01, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For most of us at Adobe, it's business as usual until the merger/acquisition is final. Tempting though it might seem, we aren't giving a lot of thought to these possibilities until the deal is closed, which is months away. Until then, none of us will be in a position to comment on this sort of thing.

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2005 May 16, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is a shock that fontographer-the friendly easy use- gone to fontlab
i hope they upgrade it keeping that simplicity..specially the drawing tools..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 01, 2005 Dec 01, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
FontLab has released their first Fontographer update. Check it out at http://www.fontlab.com/Font-tools/Fontographer

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines