• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OpenType has different ascender numbers?

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2006 Oct 10, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're converting our Mac Type 1 publications to OpenType and have noticed that the OpenType characters are ascending closer to the top of the text box in InDesign than the Type 1 characters did.
I checked into this with FontLab and noticed that for ITC Garamond book, the ascender height for the Type 1 fonts is 671, the descender is -218, the Caps height is 623 and the x height is 445.
For ITC Garamond Std Book, the ascender is 703, the descender is -297, the Cas height is 626 and the x height is 451.
These are substantially different numbers, resulting in reworking a large number of files to replicate the type 1 fonts.

Does anybody know the reason why this happened?
Looking forward to some enlightenment!
TOPICS
Open Type FDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 22, 2006 Oct 22, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I believe the OpenType version of ITC Garamond is based on the Type 1 MM version, not the plain Type 1 version.

Adobe does NOT make any promises of compatibility between Type 1 and OpenType versions of fonts, but we do document many of the kinds of things that they have changed. However, I don't think this particular issue is in there, and it should be. Sorry about that.

http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/2005/12/type_1_to_opent.html

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines