Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

dpng

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2002 Nov 14, 2002

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear OT devs,

Might someone explain me the dpng feature syntax? It is not documented in the OT specification.

TIA

-t
TOPICS
Open Type FDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that feature was first deprecated (in OT 1.3), and later removed from the spec (in OT 1.4).

The original intent was to do diphthongs like a ligature substitution via formatting. However, diphthongs have legitimate codepoints in Unicode, and the OT spec now tries to avoid features that would result in a change in character codes.

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Thomas.

BTW, the same person that told me i could use dpng told me that InDesign needs the features to be in a specific order. How can you control the order sequence in an OT font?

TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 15, 2002 Nov 15, 2002

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
In the FDK, the features are in the order you put them in the feature file.

InDesign doesn't need the features in a specific order. However, it is true that it will process features in the order they're in the font. So, let's say you have 'liga' ahead of 'smcp', and the user applies both features. They could get the fi glyph, and then the smcp feature isn't set up to process the fi as input, so you can end up with a word like "OFfiCIAL" in small caps.

However, it is likely that in the future, Microsoft's approach will be to process features in a specific order, regardless of the order in the font.

So, basically you should both order features and set the inputs such that when multiple features are applied, the user gets the results you want and they expect.

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines