feature ss01 overwrites feature liga

New Here ,
May 14, 2003 May 14, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe its a bug of InDesign 2.02 Win. I use a ss01 feature to switch T
T.alt by T.alt2.

But an existing ligature feature T.alt2 T.alt2 by T_T will not be
performed by InDesign if this ss01 feature is present in the font data.

Think the ss01 feature is not really supported by InDesign 2.02. It is a
bug of InDesign?

Think the liga feature should have priority over any ss0x feature.

Andreas
TOPICS
Open Type FDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are your lookups ordered? In order to be reactive to output from <ss01>, your <liga> feature lookups need to be ordered after <ss01>. Using the FDK or FontLab, you can only order complete features, not individual lookups, so you either need to put the <liga> feature after the <ss01> feature or include lookups in the latter to maintain ligatures, e.g. putting a lookup in the <ss01> feature that precedes lookups involving T and that maps T_T to itself. Obviously reordering the features is more efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J Hudson wrote:<br />> <br />> How are your lookups ordered? In order to be reactive to output from <ss01>, your <liga> feature lookups need to be ordered after <ss01>. Using the FDK or FontLab, you can only order complete features, not individual lookups, so you either need to put the <liga> feature after the <ss01> feature or include lookups in the latter to maintain ligatures, e.g. putting a lookup in the <ss01> feature that precedes lookups involving T and that maps T_T to itself. Obviously reordering the features is more<br /><br /><br />Hello John,<br /><br />thank you for your comment. I reordered the ss0x feature and now it<br />works. It`s best to place ss0x on top after the kerning feature? Because<br />it overwrites my dlig hlig & calt features too.<br /><br />my the feature order is now:<br /><br />kern<br />ss01 - ss10<br />aalt<br />locl<br />onum<br />pnum<br />tnum<br />numr<br />dnom<br />frac<br />liga<br />dlig<br />hlig<br />salt<br />#ss01 - ss10 <br />liga<br />hist<br />calt<br />ordn<br />ornm<br /><br />ps. I use the FDK only - it an FDK group ;-)<br /><br /><br />Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andreas,
I don't think any feature should have priority over any other feature. The lookups in OpenType fonts are applied in the sequence according to the lookup sequence. I think it's a good mechanism.
Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The <locl> feature should be first, since this is particular to Language System and should set up the glyphs for all following features. Think of the <locl> feature as substituting new default forms for specific Language Systems, with all subsequent features treating the <locl> substitutions as if they were the default glyphs. [The Windows text/OT engine, Uniscribe, forces ordering of some featues, and always processes <ccmp> and <locl> as the first two features.]<br /><br />Putting <ss01> etc. immediately after <locl> is a good idea, although they could also go after <aalt> without any problems.<br /><br />The <kern> feature might as well go last, since GPOS features are always processed after GSUB features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines