Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cross platform opentype font compatibility and web pages

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2003 Sep 16, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm new here so please forgive me if this is an often asked question (i did search first).

It's just that I'm just a little sick of constantly using the same fonts (six variations) on my web pages. Let alone seeing them on everyone elses.

It seems to me that during the past six years most new applications must have quietly delivered a number of opentype fonts to their users pc's/mac's/unix boxes.

On that basis it would appear that the six oft-quoted variations should now have been expanded significantly (according to my own font folder to about fifteen, including e.g. trebuchet, century gothic ).

Does anyone know of anywhere (something like a chart would be nice) where these variations are documented (with the different platform font names) with an approximate idea of the percentage likelihood of whether users will be able to see the intended font.

(Although embedding fonts is of course an option, because it substantially adds byte size to page download times, it still seems generally frowned upon.)

Thanks for your help
Mandy
TOPICS
Open Type FDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 17, 2003 Sep 17, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
No, I don't know that anyone has attempted such a chart with actual percentages. Even if it could be done, it would not necessarily be accurate for your particular audience.

What are the "standard fonts" you're thinking of, anyway? If there are any major omissions, I'm sure people can tell you....

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines