• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

H E L P mac math foonths to windows-compatible fonts

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2003 Oct 22, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im a novice when it comes to font development. i want to convert mac math fonts to pc-compatible fonts. ive been trying to follow the guidelines on how to do it but i cant seem to have an output. dont know how python works and i dont know if my files are correct. i have "PalatBol, PalatBolIta, Palatino, PalatIta and PalatRom" and some other mac math fonts. so how do i put it in features file, etc. and what is "an outline font" mentioned in the overview? i dont see also the window wen i double-click on the makeotf.py (regarding makeotf.py, mentioned and shown on page 2 of the documentation).
pls help me as i have a deadline to meet.
im pc-based by the way. thank you very much.
TOPICS
Open Type FDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2003 Oct 22, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addendum:

error: could not find makeotflib or makeotflibDB

pls help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2003 Oct 28, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you simply want to convert existing fonts to an equivalent pc version, then the FDK is the wrong tool. OpenType fonts have a lot of new meta-data that older formats do not have, and you will have to spend quite a bit time researching and making choices about how to build the new data. These areas are:
- extended set of menu names and other text info
- Unicode encoding tables
- OpenType layout features: these are very complex for math
- Panose number and other data for the OS/2 table

You best choice for the specific task of converting is the TypeTool products from FontLab ( see http://www.fontlab.com/html/typetool.html).

You may alo be able to make do with the free conversion tools at:
http://fondu.sourceforge.net/
These do not cover all the flavors of font data you might want, but if you can figure out how to use them and they cover the cases of interest to you, they will be sufficient.

I recommend the TypeTool , as it comes with a manual and requires relatively little computer and font expertise.

The specific problem you have with the FDK shows that the Python interpreter does not know where to find the FDK add-on modules. This means in turn that you need to run the FinishInstall.py. NOTE! You have to run this as described in the installation instructions: you must run it by dragging it onto the icon for the Python interpreter. If you run it by double-clicking on it, it will make incorrect file-paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2004 Apr 19, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm a novice too.
Hopefully seeking help regarding what simple applications are around to convert a PC font to Mac font and back again.
Any tips on how to do the conversion would be gratefully appreciated.
I'm using InDesign.

I hope there is a kind helpful and knowledgable person out there.

Many thanks. Lindsay

What happens next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2004 Apr 20, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You best choice for the specific task of converting is the TypeTool products from FontLab ( see http://www.fontlab.com/html/typetool.html).
You may alo be able to make do with the free conversion tools at:
http://fondu.sourceforge.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines