• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AFTER EFFECTS WISH LIST (Prior to Sept 09)

Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2008 Jan 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFTER EFFECTS WISHLIST

What features would you like to see implemented in After Effects? New ideas for plugins? Interface changes? Post 'em here!

Let's keep bug identification to individual posts, as these will probably be addressed more readily. Let's use this thread for specific ideas about ways that AE can be improved and expanded.

These Forums are for users, not Adobe employees, so don't forget to also fill in an  Adobe feature request form.

To view the Wish List posts prior to 2008, look here.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 237 Replies 237
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2008 Jan 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like a graph editor that actually does something useful.

The current one does not have separate X, Y, and Z axes available.

You cannot adjust curves with any degree of useful control.

You only have very limited options for easy ease or linear/bezier, though bezier handles don't seem to be available most of the time for some unfathomable and frustrating reason.

It is a big useless lump of nothing, and needs to be completely redesigned to offer usable features and options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 11, 2008 Jan 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree that the graph editor needs work. The current "workaround" of using an animation preset (transform) to seperate channels into expression sliders is LAME. Position values need to be seperated into 3 distinct values that can be adjusted independant of each other. I'd also like numerical boxes, where you can type in the angle and length of the bezier curve for both incoming/outgoing. An option to force keys onto actual frames (rather than inbetween frames). A numerical box that specifies what frame that key is on.

An entire seperate window for the graph editor would be MUCH improved over the dopesheet/graph editor switch icon. I want to be able to see both the dopesheet and the graph editor at the same time! There's way too much clicking back and forth. Anyone know of a shortcut?

Guano, I think you need to set the keys to ease in order to get bezier handles. Or try clicking/dragging a keyframe with the g key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 11, 2008 Jan 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An option to force keys onto actual frames (rather than inbetween frames).

You can actually already do this. Open the "Choose Graph and Type Options" menu at the bottom of the graph (its icon looks like a little dialogue box) and deselect "Allow Keyframes Between Frames".

That said, the more I use the graph editor, the more frustrated I become with its limitations. It makes expressions work a real pain. I used to be able to use the individual property graphs to create a sort of dashboard to map expressions variables over time, now that's impossible to do in a readable way. Also, why is the motion graph switch considered a comp switch? This means its status gets included in the undo queue. This in turn means there is no way to make changes in keyframes view, switch to graph view, then undo and see the changes reflected in the graph. Instead, AE switches back to keyframes view, and if you then manually switch back to graph view, you lose the redo queue! This is immensely frustrating when working with marker-driven expressions, since markers can't be seen or manipulated in graph view, and only renders the graph even less useful as far as I'm concerned.

Also, and this is a bug, so it's slightly off-topic, but when editing expressions in graph view, undos change the underlying expression correctly, but do not change the code in the expression editing box, meaning any further revisions to the expression will end up editing the wrong expression code. Just one more reason to avoid the graph editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2008 Jan 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but when using the separate position coordinates preset on a null as camera control, it would be nice to see those keyframes as a motion path so you can adjust the camera's motion better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2008 Jan 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sort out 3gb ram limit.
multi-processing for more than 6 processors.

aforementioned 3d camera interface issues that haven't been sorted in at least 8 years. WTF?

Intelligent caching of rendered layers.

Select all render and output settings, file destination in render queue.

Be able to turn off that thing where you double click on a layer and it opens the footage window. Anyone using that footage window much?

Ability to precomp 3d layers together and continuously rasterize. And everything work. Adjustment layers,etc not to split up 3d comps in depth order. Specific layer to do this instead.

Just don't bother with the node view thing unless it's useful. Imitation Flame thing from years ago. We all asked for it. And got something different. No one uses it. Do they?

Import 3d models. Actual use of opengl for realtime fx.

Decent colour grading tool. Not color finesse bundle. Or buying something. Even levels and HSB together would save a little time.
Really not hard. Channel mixer anyone?

Import XML file. Instead of buying auto duck. How about adobe buy auto duck instead?

Silky smooth playback to broadcast monitor.

Instead of node-based view of project. How about node based view of expressions a la quartz composer /c4d xpresso.

Import midi files as keyframe data.

Exponential scale as keyframe setting.

Mask feathering with separate bezier for feathering. YES.

Not crashing quite so much on my 8core.

XYZ position editing as separate channels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Just don't bother with the node view thing unless it's useful. Imitation Flame thing from years ago. We all asked for it. And got something different. No one uses it. Do they?

Once you learn how to use something like nodes you'll always want them. Combine something like Shake's nodes with AE's timeline and you've got a killer way to composite and do MO graphics in the same app. Gone forever will be my AE compositing projects with 50 to 100 layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Replying to Marcus)
Sorting out 3GB limit means rewrite for 64bit. Not that I'm against that....

Does anyone use the node/schematic view in AE? I opened it up once to show my boss the end game from our show, but it's so horrible to open/organize that it's just a waste of time..

"Instead of node-based view of project. How about node based view of expressions a la quartz composer /c4d xpresso." Later this year, you should check out Softimage XSI 7. "Moondust" is awesome!

And the main reason I was replying... Accessing XML files is already possible, via scripting.. Funny you should mention that, I'm just working on how to write XML files (http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c05dc8f/1).

There's a chapter on XML in the Javascript Tools Guide CS3 (Open ExtendScript Toolkit 2, then go to Help > SDK > JavaScript Tools Guide CS3. There's also a pdf version somewhere on the adobe site, but I couldn't find it with a quick look.) There's a lot more on reading xml files than creating them...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Does anyone use the node/schematic view in AE? I opened it up once to show my boss the end game from our show, but it's so horrible to open/organize that it's just a waste of time.."

This has been exactly my experience. For any comp network complex enough to make a network graph useful, the graph itself is so unwieldy as to be completely unusable.

On an unrelated note, is HTML still hosed on this forum? I tried putting the above quote in italics, and the forum displayed the tags rather than the formatted text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, no change to the HTML limitations yet, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with the posts these days on 3D. I wrote about this prior to the current version, and was really surprised and saddened that the 3D situation still sucks in AE. What's the problem? This, in my opinion is the main reason I'd stop using AE and switch to Motion, which at least seems (in my limited experience with it) to have worked out a nice 3D interface.

At the VERY LEAST:

XYZ coordinates

Named windows

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!!!!!

Thanks!
Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2008 Jan 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> There's a chapter on XML in the Javascript Tools Guide CS3
> (Open ExtendScript Toolkit 2, then go to Help > SDK > JavaScript
> Tools Guide CS3. There's also a pdf version somewhere on the
> adobe site, but I couldn't find it with a quick look.) There's
> a lot more on reading xml files than creating them...

Is this what you're looking for, David?

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/bridge/pdfs/javascript_tools_guide_cs3.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 24, 2008 Jan 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it. I've already downloaded, printed it, and am reading it. I originally found the link while searching for "XML After Effects." Without finding it thru the ExtendScript, I think it's very difficult to locate; perhaps you should include a link under the After Effects Scripting Guide, since the two compliment each other. Also, still waiting for the AE Scripting Guide to be upgraded to LiveDocs...

My XML script is almost done; just a couple of remaining problems. Moving on to UI creation (which is also covered in Javascript Tools Guide)....

Speaking of ExtendScript. It bugs me that my script will debug/run but not function properly. I then copy the section of my script that creates the xml file into a new document. Only then does debugging the new doc reveal my error, undeclared (mistyped) variable. Why wouldn't it catch that in the larger script? Frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2008 Jan 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> perhaps you should include a link under the After Effects Scripting Guide

Will do.

> Also, still waiting for the AE Scripting Guide to be upgraded to LiveDocs...

Me, too. I won't trouble you with the details of why that's not trivial, but I will assure you that the wheels are in motion.

> Speaking of ExtendScript. It bugs me that my script will
> debug/run but not function properly. I then copy the section
> of my script that creates the xml file into a new document.
> Only then does debugging the new doc reveal my error,
> undeclared (mistyped) variable. Why wouldn't it catch that in
> the larger script? Frustrating.

I bet that you'd get some help with this if you started a new thread with this issue in the scripting forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2008 Feb 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Option for setting mode of self collision of masks. I always run into have to cross the splines and thus, getting a difference effect on it. I'd like to set that to Add as well, if I want to. Sounds easy.
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 13, 2008 Feb 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Graph Editor request....

Ability to vertically zoom in the graph editor (after disabling autozoom). You can zoom horizontal via - and =. I need something for vertical.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, you can Alt-drag with the Zoom tool to zoom vertically in the Graph Editor.

See "Pan and zoom in the Graph Editor".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see.. Spacebar+Alt and drag with mouse (depending on movement, it will zoom in or out, even though the zoom tool only shows - (neg) sign).

Scratchin' that off the list...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2008 Feb 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see XDCam EX import capabilities.

Right now, even with the $449 MainConcept MPEG PRo HD3, AE cannot work on any footage from this camera.

XDCam EX import at the top of my list!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2008 Feb 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a simple one. Can AE have Spell Check.
Also Can there be more integration between AE and Apple FCP. Automatic Duck only works so well.
Thanks =)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1)Seperate XYZ for position
2)much more intuitive control of the curves as in maya/max.
3)individual mask point keyframes and individual blur per point in masks also.
4)a working node-based environment would be fantastic. (i believe DV garage have made a version of conduit for AE which does this?)
5)I love the puppet pin tool, but I'd love it even more if there were parenting controls per pin to allow making a pseudo IK rig without lots of expressions.
6)would love colour finesse to be more integrated into AE's interface.
7) all effects in 32 bit or float
8) ability to clone/paint in the comp window
9) drop down option for precomps to see the layers inside, maybe indented or highlighted .. whatever
10) realtime playback always no matter what! (well, it is a wishlist)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second the individual mask point keyframes. I'd also like the option to change the size of a solid without scaling the masks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 28, 2008 Feb 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the spelling checker, check out the script here:
http://michaelcardeiro.com/aeScripts/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2008 Mar 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tools/manipulators to either rotate or scale selected puppet points would be positively bitchin'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2008 Mar 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

another one that bugs me (but maybe there is a way of doing this i haven't yet found) is i can't see curves in my graph editor for attributes controlled by expressions. eg if i have 3 keyframes and an expression to loop these I'd like to be able to see my curve looping also, perhaps faded or broken line to show the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines