• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Sniffer_GPU.exe" Has stopped working... AE crashes on start

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2009 Mar 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, finally got around installing the AE CS4 trial to test this baby out but... keep getting this problem.

As soon as I click on the after effects icon windows gives me this error about "sniffer_gpu.exe", and AE crashes away into oblivion. So I am assuming this is an openGL thing. I have tried renaming the sniffer_gpu.exe to see if AE will just skip it but then AE just doesn't even really get into the splash screen and hangs.

I am on Vista x64 and I have an ATI video card with the latest drivers (pretty high end, the name escapes me but its an X2 so it has basically two video cards pre-sli'ed). I see that there have been a few people with this problem but no one ever had a fix.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2009 Mar 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's definitely OpenGL, but without further detsails, it#s impossible to advise. Please generate a dump of your graphics card stuff using GLView (http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html) and provide it for download or send it via mail to mylenium<|>at<|>mylenium<|>.<|>de. Also include a generic dump from your System Information Utility (Start Menu --> Programs --> Utilities --> System) for comparison.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

b sniffer_gpu.exe

pretty scary name for a service in the task manager, don't ya think? ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mylenium, here is a link to the two dump reports you asked for:

http://www.brandonmiletta.dreamhosters.com/files/reports.zip

Also, Thomas. Lol yeah kind of a scary name but I knew it was nothing bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2009 Mar 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I could not see anything that would explain the crashes, but that must not mean anything. Apparently the GLViewer itself recognizes all features correctly, but the Adobe tools may not. however, I seem to remember some people having trouble with 4870 cards on the Photoshop forum. From what I gather, some special thing with Catalyst Desktop, so maybe look over there. Sorry not to be of more help...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2009 Mar 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay thanks, I will check over there and see what I can do with the Catalyst software, maybe try and go without it or something. I will post here if/when I find a fix so if anyone runs into this they can know what I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2009 Mar 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eck, I have tried all kinds of things with drivers and such guys.. I am getting pretty discouraged right now, anyone have any suggestions?? I can't find a solution anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2011 Jul 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have ATI card, simply update you drivers using this (http://www2.ati.com/drivers/auto/amddriverdownloader.exe) AMD program and make it works! (It worked at me)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2011 Sep 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having similar issues. AE CS5 crashed all the time when I used sliders to resize items so I had to disable OpenGL in preferences.

Now AE stops crashing (but obviously screen draws slower) and I get the Sniffer_GPU.exe error on start up every time. The "Enable OpenGL" is also now grayed out as a result.

I am using nVidia Quadro 2000M on a ThinkPad with the latest drivers installed v8.17.12.8026  (dated 8/3/11). Nothing so far has fixed this. Would love to have OpenGL enabled and work without crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2011 Sep 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a similar issue, though I started it in the PS forum because that's the first software I opened but it extends to AE also. Anyways, if anyone knows what's going on with the OpenGL issue on the AMD 6950 video card on CS5.5, please let me know.

Here is my thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/902265?tstart=0

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2011 Sep 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2011 Nov 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully the OP found the problem to the issue but I was having the same issue sniffer_gpu.exe stopped working and then After Effects crashed. In my case the problem was that I had disabled some of the Adobe services through "msconfig". I re-enabled those services and voila! After Effects started working again. Hopefull that helped some of you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2014 Apr 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right click on Computer, Properties, Device Manager. Disable your video card. Open After Effects, ignore the Sniffer_GPU.exe (click x, ok , cancel, whatever you get the point). After AE will be opened, you can reenable your video card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines