• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AF CS3: How do i split a video into 2???

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2008 Feb 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there

How do i split a video in adobe affter effects into 2 video clips??????

I can do it windows movie maker but not in after effects??

Please help
Ricky
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Hi! I've noticed a lot of folks returning to this page for this info. Here's what we have available for splitting your video in After Effects.

Hope it helps!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select your clip in the timeline, put the CTI where you want the split to occur and then use the CTRL+SHIFT+D shortcut to split into two layers.

Windows Movie Maker is a video editor (for consumers), After Effects is a composition/animation/effects tool (for professionals). There's quite a difference in the way each one works.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are in 2012 and I have the same problem, but my Mac AE has no Control-Shift-D shortcut and I see no command to split a clip in two from the CTI. My goal is to use the first 10 and last 10 seconds of a 30 second clip but skip the middle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, I see now. I have "Split Layer" under Edit when the CTI is located in a composition layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it's command-shift-d on a Mac.

Also, this kind of task is much more suited to a video editing program, if you plan to do a lot of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My ctrl+shift+D isnt working because I have an app called Ding talk and when I try to click ctrl+shift+D

only that app apperas instead of clips being splitted.PLEASE HELP:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that!!! it works!

Just another question though... after the split and after deleting the last part of the clip that i splited, is there anyway of removing that lightish green that it leaves behind after the split

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as that lightish green bar thing under the clip makes it keep playing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 17, 2008 Feb 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not exactly sure what you're trying to do... Do you want to trim your clips outpoint? Move the CTI (current time indicator) to 1 frame before where you want the clip to end. alt ]

If you want to trim inpoint, alt [

Do you want to trim your comp length to the length of both of your clips? Select both clips, ctrl-alt-b to set the work area to the length of your clips, and then composition/trim to work area (or whatever it's called).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2008 Feb 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Just another question though... after the split and after deleting the
>last part of the clip that i splited, is there anyway of removing that
>lightish green that it leaves behind after the split

Not sure what you mean. The ghosted/ dulled areas of the clips always represent its original soiurce duration even after parts of them have been removed. They should however not have any influence on the actual rendering and not show up. Are you sure you are working in the composition, not the layer viewer?

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I've noticed a lot of folks returning to this page for this info. Here's what we have available for splitting your video in After Effects.

Hope it helps!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines