• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting .chm file to .doc

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2007 Jan 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to convert a .chm file to MS Word .doc format?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be some utility around that would do this but you could always decompile the CHM file using the HTML Help Studio provided with RH. Then you could import the necessary files into a new project and use RH's printed documentation feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am tempted to give a developer's answer and just say yes.

I assume you don't have the original project but do have the right to use the content.

If so, reverse engineer the chm file to produce a RoboHelp project and then create a printed output. (My site describes both processes)

I believe there are also programs that will go straight from the CHM to Word but you are posting on the RH forum so it seems likely you want the RH project.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter:

First of all, sorry about the cross-posting. I haven't used a bulletin board in a long time and I didn't
realize the same people checked different boards.

Anyway, I don't think the people in my office who asked me to figure this out for them are going to
be able to pull off reverse engineering.
And they're at a remote location which makes it harder still.

Is there a feature of RoboHelp itself that allows .chm documents in RoboHelp get converted to a
MS Word .doc format, at which point it can be edited and printed,
or am I just barking up the wrong tree? I believe they have access to an
older version of RoboHelp, and that's where the .chm file is located.

Any additional help would be appreciated!

Thanks Peter!

Dan Goldberg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "reverse engineering" sounds more daunting than it is; just follow Peter's excellent procedure. I just resurrected an old project from .chm file myself the other day.

However, you'd be much better served if you could track down the source project files and generate a Printed Documentation layout from that.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do within the RH forums. Sometimes it is OK but it does help if you leave a little time for the first post to be dealt with.

If there was a built in feature to reverse engineer, there wouldn't be a topic on my site listing other methods. It really is very simple if you just follow the steps one by one.

I am not clear whether or not your guys have the source project. They clearly have RH and a CHM. I need to know if you also have the source and if so whether that is a RH for Word or RH HTML project, also which version of RH are they using.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Peter: I gave them your link and they are currently looking at the reverse engineering info.
Thanks everyone for the help!

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp