• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conditional Build tags affecting formatting and merging hyperlinks

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working in RH6 on a number of projects. In all of them I use a specific caption box/format combination for tips and notes. I also use a conditional build tag so I can generate a 'lite' versions of full help, suitable for printing.  I note that on occasions, when I apply the build tag, I lose the formatting on the text - or the entire formatting of the text is applied where I don't want it applied.

Wrose, still, I find that applying a build tag to a list of hyperlinks can merge the link addresses so they all point to the same area, which is pretty disastrous.

Is this a bug Adobe know about? Is it fixed in 7 or 8?

Any advice appreciated.

Robin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robin.

I don't know if RH know about it but you should report it using the link below...

http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll do that. Thanks for the link.

Meantime, if anyone else has any suggestions, before I go through every file manually, I'd be really grateful...

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robin

If I had a nickel for every report I've ever seen about this, well, I'd have a grand total of $.05.

Yours would be the first I've seen of it. And version 6 was announced in January 2007. Because of that, I'm going to have to conclude that there is something amiss with either your setup or the way in which you are applying the build tags.

Sorry I don't have anything substantial to add to this post.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick (and anyone else reading this)

It's interesting to know that no-one else appears to have seen this. However that does not in itself rule out the possibility that this could be a bug, or a design flaw. It may well be down to the way I put things together, but I'm damned if I can work out what is triggering this behaviour.

Let's say you lay out a series of hyperlinks, in sequence, like this - no spacing, no whitespace:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Then you select all the links and apply a conditional tag, within the topic. There is no reason that the links should lose their individual addresses, but in some cases, it does.

Let's also say you put a note in like this:

TIP: Pay attention to this tip.

And then apply a conditional tag to this area. The usual way - select text, right-click and select the appropriate Conditional build tag.

Why, then would the note reformat to look like this?

TIP: Pay attention to this tip.

See why I am puzzled?

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Well, I wasn't suggesting it wasn't a bug.

I suppose it's quite likely that something is getting munged. Actually, I think that's rather obvious as it's happening to you.

I think perhaps the editor is becoming confused. I believe the way these things are handled is by using some specially formatted span tags to apply the CBTs.

By the way, these new forums now support screen captures. So we no longer have to resort to a reasonable facsimile using only text.

Sorry I don't really have a workaround to offer here. At this point I'm as puzzled as you are.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't suppose that there are soft carraige returns (Shift + Enter) being used between the links? I don't see why it should merge the links if there is but it may be a workaround. I still haven't an answer to the formatting either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum (and Rick)

Believe me, I am really appreciative of any suggestions.

Well, I am using soft carriage returns, as otherwise I tend to deal with lists of links that go from here to Australia...but the thing that puzzles me is that this is intermittent. I've also noted as I work through the project looking for anomalies (about one topic in 30) that this is not, as I thought, restricted to topics with local conditional build tags - I found a whole section where the tag was applied at topic level. I think it's connected with how large a topic file is. The larger the demand on resources, the more this seems likely to trigger odd behaviour.

Oy

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe if you add a space after the link and before your soft carriage return this would make a difference. If you had loads, perhaps you could use a good find and replace tool to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've thought about that, and I think you're probably right. But of course, this negates the notion of making concentrated help information available to the end-user in clearly identifiable areas. As a hopefully prophylactic measure, I've put whitespace berfore and after the link clusters, which makes for more scrolling, of course...

I guess this shows that the wysiwyg aspect of RH just isn't as bomb-proof as Adobe say it is. And theyhaven't come back to me yet...

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp