• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I display the path of an individual topic within the help output?

Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Apologies if any topic already exists for this, but I cerainly couldn't find anything...)

I am producing webhelp for a very large help project and engineers have asked to be able to see the location of an individual help file page.

This is because they click through several layers of hierarchy within the TOC to get to the page they need, but the filename does not change within the browser URL field.

They would like to see the location of that file and would potentially like to be able to copy and paste the path for other use.

Any ideas on how to do this? 

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Feebeegeebee

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like they have in mind using the URL for various purposes. If they just use the full path to the URL, that topic will open without the toolbar or TOC. You can create a URL that overcomes that problem and that is described in Calling WebHelp Using URLs on my site.

I would have a read of that and perhaps show it to the developers before doing anything more.

If they are viewing the output in IE, right clicking and selecting Properties will give them the information they require.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks.

I will get back to the engineers, as I think they mean either a field that displays the location or for the location to appear in the title bar or staus bar. I will check though.

Right-clicking within IE would be useful, but I think most of them are non-Windows users, so unfortuately it's not really an option.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Feebeegeebee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Feebeegeebee,

You can use javascript to display the page URL...

Go to Insert>HTML>Advanced>Script.. and paste the following:

document.write(" " + document.location);

It will show as a red box within the editor, but will show up properly in your published output.

But, as Peter mentions, if this URL is pasted into the browser it will open up without the top toolbar or TOC etc (but with a "show" link to load them in)

Cheers, Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

Thanks that might just be what they need. 

I'll give it a try and see what the reaction is...

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Feebeegeebee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried the javascript solution and it certainly would provide the info, but would need to be done for every individual file in the help (several thousand) which would be a mammoth task.

Is there any way that the info could appear in the title bar? I realise that the File -> Project Settings option enables you to enter a static title for the help in the Project TItle field. But...is there a way to show your current location in the title bar?

Thanks as ever for any suggestions.

Regards,

Feebeegeebee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You might accomplish it by adding the script to a footer.

In case you have never tried this, you define a new Template (In 8 it's called a Master Page). You then define a Footer in the Template that contans this script and you apply the template to all existing topics to propagate the footer.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick.

That may really help.

Regards,

Feebeegeebee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2010 Mar 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, just stumbled upon this as was looking for something similar. How would I do this so would appear as a button at the bottom of my master page, so clicking on the button will then display the URL. Can't see how to add the javascript action to my button.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp