1 2 Previous Next 62 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2011 3:56 PM by Chris Cox RSS

Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

MuggeGHQ Community Member

Hi.

I keep getting this strange system log error from Photoshop CS4.

It comes after a wile when using PS CS4.

I tried to chance the memory settings and scratch disc to see if that helped. It didn't.

I also checked all my ram for anything bad. 16GB in my Mac Pro Intel OS X 10.5.6

Everything is updated to latest included Adobe apps.

This is the system log error

Apr  7 16:04:03 mugge [0x0-0x28028].com.adobe.Photoshop[305]: *** error: can't allocate region

Apr  7 16:04:03 mugge [0x0-0x28028].com.adobe.Photoshop[305]: *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Apr  7 16:04:03 mugge [0x0-0x28028].com.adobe.Photoshop[305]: Adobe Photoshop CS4(305,0x6a73720) malloc: *** mmap(size=132911104) failed (error code=12)

Apr  7 16:04:03 mugge [0x0-0x28028].com.adobe.Photoshop[305]: *** error: can't allocate region

Apr  7 16:04:03 mugge [0x0-0x28028].com.adobe.Photoshop[305]: *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Apr  7 16:04:03 mugge [0x0-0x28028].com.adobe.Photoshop[305]: Adobe Photoshop CS4(305,0x6a73720) malloc: *** mmap(size=132911104) failed (error code=12)

And it keeps on until i close Photoshop.

Please anybody ?? i cant figure out what this means.

Thx for help.

Erik S

• 1. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4
          PECourtejoie CommunityMVP

"malloc" does sound like a contracted form of Memory Allocation.

What are your current memory settings? Cache levels?

How did you test the RAM? is it Apple RAM?

did you use any of the extensions, like disable scratch compression, or Bigger Tiles?

Take a look at these documents:

Optimize performance in Photoshop CS4 on Mac OS

Troubleshoot system errors or freezes in Photoshop CS4 (Mac OS)

• 2. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Hi.

And thx for your replay.

My memory settings in PS CS4 is set to 94%, cache level is 6 because i work with big pictures most of the time.

I have 4 internal 600GB drives so all 4 is set to scratch discs. I dont use any of the extra plugins your where referring to.

I used the memtest for the memory testing and i had it running all night in 6 loops. Nothing.

I had also changed my graphic card from the default Radeon 2600 to a Radeon 3870 but today i tried to go back to

the stock 2600 card just to test. Didn't helped. Was not that.

So now i have been trying again all 16GB (8x 2GB) and then everytime i get the error i shut down and tough out 2x 2GB = 4GB

and fired it up again.

I did that all day today and it came down to only 4GB left (2x 2GB) so unless its the last 2 blocks i tried, it must be something else ???

But lets see. I dont know anything yet because i went home before i could try it again.

So if i'm very lucky it was the last 2x 2GB blocks i tested and it will work right again when i install all the other 6x 2GB = 12GB tomorrow.

If not. It must be something else. Maybe the ram risers ?

I have no idea what else it could be.

I have tried so many things. New user. New system from scratch, installed everything from the begging. Mac OS X & Adobe suite. Didn't help.

So now i really really hope it was those 2x 2GB blocks i tested before i went home.

If you have anything else you can tell me. I would love to hear it  ;-)  again thx for your replay.

Mugge

• 3. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

I forgot to tell you one thing else.

I have a second Mac Pro with 100% exact same setup. It runs fine.

Its the same clone HD i use on the Mac Pro with the errors.

I bought 2 Mac Pro identical 8 month ago and they are 100% set up the same accept for the Radeon 3870 in my Mac Pro.

But i already tested for that. As i said i swoped back the stock 2600 to check.. Nope.

So it is a little strange really. One Mac Pro runs smooth the other dont ???

Again.. thx for your help so far buddy.

Mugge

• 4. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Ok. i checked all my 8x 2GB blocks yesterday again.

No help. They all function right. So it is not my memory thats corrupted. It must be something else ???

What could it be now.....

Hope someone have more answers.

Thanks a lot

• 5. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4
                  Ramón G Castañeda Community Member

Have you monitored the temperature inside the machine?  An intermittently failing fan could be causing heat problems.  Just a hunch.

• 6. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Hi Ramòn

Thx for your replay.

No i didn't check the inside temp yet. Its a thought...

Now i did... All fans look like they are working right.

Exhaus Fan = 599RPM

CPU/Memory Fan = 499RPM

Expansion Fan = 799RPM

Power Supply Fan = 609RPM

All memory banks says around 108F / 42C

and

All Memory Modules from 129F / 54C to 147F / 62C

Is that normal range ?

Its strange because when i first start Photoshop CS4 and work. Nothing happen and system log file is fine.

But after i have been working for around 30-40 min in PS. The system log files shows all those errors from my first post.

I have been trough all my memory modules for testing and tried with only PS standard plug-ins.

Also trashed preffs etc.  everything what i can think of.

• 7. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4
                      Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Hmm, I'm not sure what in Photoshop would keep allocating 128 Meg buffers.

Sometimes that error shows when you're low on RAM, and Photoshop fails to allocate something - but then we try again with smaller buffers.

My first guess is that the OS is trying to allocate something when called by Photoshop, and doesn't have a graceful recovery strategy.

Next guess is a plugin misbehaving (third party, scripting or ACR).

• 8. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4
                        Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Doesn't look like a hardware problem, just software.

• 9. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Hi Chris.

Thx for your replay buddy. Need all the help i can get.

I have been trying so many things here.

I have 16gigs of memory installed so it cant be to less of that.

The last couple of hours i have been trying to lower the memory settings in Photoshop CS4 preffs from 95% to now 82%

When it was at 100% my PS was crashing. Everything under 98% didn't crash but gave me the system log error ?

The funny thing is i have 2 Mac Pro that is set up identical. Same memory, same plugins, same same etc. and it runs

just fine. No errors at all.

Today i updated the raw plug in to the latest. Same thing. It didn't help.

So the next thing i will try is to move all the non Adobe plugins out of my plugin folder.

Even that i think its strange that thay all work on my second Mac Pro.

But i cant think of anything else to try.

If you have anything i could try. Please let me know Chris.

• 10. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Here is a list of the plugins i have installed. Maybe some of you guys already know some that isn't compatible with PC CS4 ?

you never know  ;-)

AKVIS ArtSuite Plugin

AKVIS Coloriage Plugin

AKVIS Decorator Plugin

AKVIS Enhancer Plugin

AKVIS LightShop Plugin

AKVIS Noise Buster Plugin

AKVIS Retoucher Plugin

AKVIS Sketch Plugin

AKVIS SmartMask Plugin

All AKVIS is not the latest latest but pretty new releases.

Alienskin:

Blowup 1.1.1

Exposure 2 v2.0.1

Eye Candy 5 Impact 5.5.2

Eye Candy 5 Nature 5.5.2

Eye Candy 5 Textures 5.5.1

Image Doctor 2 v2.0

Snap Art 1.1.3

Alien Skin Splat 1.5.0

Alien Skin Xenofex 2 v2.5.1

ArtStudioPro 1.2.5

Digital Anarchy:

Backdrop Designer 1.2

Primatte 3

Texture Anarchy 1.1

Fisheye-Hemi:

Fisheye-Hemi 1 (Circle)

Fisheye-Hemi 2 (FullFrm)

Fisheye-Hemi 3 (Cropped).plugin

OnOne FocalPoint

FocusMagic

Knoll Light Factory 3

OnOne Mask Pro 4.1

Mister Retro PermanentPress CS3

OnOne PhotoTune 2 v2.2

PTLensPhotoshop CS3

RealGrain 1.0.1

Squizz 4.8

This are the non Adobe plugins i have installed.

• 11. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4
                              Chris Cox Adobe Employee

I also can't figure out what would be using an mmap (Photoshop itself doesn't use them).

If you removed or disabled all the third party plugins, that should rule them out as the cause - but do double check the "about plugins" list to make sure they were disabled.

• 12. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Hi Chris

Thx again. But i moved all non Adobe plugins but the error still comes after a sertent amount of time ?

Someone told me to test with the memory settings in Photoshop CS4. To move the slider from lets say.

95% and then down in very small settings ?

Mugge

• 13. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4
                                  Community Member

try photoshop in a new user.

• 14. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Hi .Buko

Thx for your replay.

I already tried that long time ago.

But thx anyway buddy  :)

• 15. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4
                                      Community Member

At this point I would do an Archive and install of the OS and see if that fixes it.

• 16. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Hi .Buko

Thx again.

But i even tried a full clone of a 100% working HD from one of my other Mac Pro.

Same thing ???  Its like this specific Mac Pro dosent like when there is 16GB of memory installed.

I didn't tried the hole scale of memory settings in Photoshop CS4 yet.

As i said earlyer. Someone told me it had to do with the memory settings in Photoshop CS4

So i still need to try different memory settings there. The slider. Move it from 90% down to

like 75% in small steps.

Mugge

• 17. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

MuggeGHQ wrote:

But i even tried a full clone of a 100% working HD from one of my other Mac Pro.

Same thing ???  Its like this specific Mac Pro dosent like when there is 16GB of memory installed.

Perhaps a bad or mismatched RAM module or two?  I'd start testing it with only two sticks at a time to ferret out the possibly problem one(s).

• 18. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Hi Ramón

Thx for the suggestion but i already did that many times.

I wrote everything i tried earlier in this story.

All memory blocks have been tested by me and the shop where i bought them.

So all that have been tested to the end really.

I still need to test the memory settings in Photoshop CS4 preferences under performance.

I didn't had time yet. Someone told me that when you have a lot of memory installed, photoshop CS4

can some times be a little tricky with memory.

He suggested that i moved the memory slider starting from 95% and then down to 75% in very very

small steps. Like lets say, around 2% every time. From 95% to 92% all the way down to 75%

He ones had a problem close to mine and he did this and finally found the exact memory setting for

he's Photoshop CS4 memory and the error went away ?

Lets see what happen for me.

Thx again all

• 19. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

MuggeGHQ wrote:

Hi Ramón

All memory blocks have been tested by me and the shop where i bought them.

Mugge,

The ultimate RAM test is Photoshop itself.

All software RAM testers, like memtest, rember, etc., miss some problem RAM occasionally.

Photoshop addresses even parts of the RAM module that software tests miss.  Even the tests used by engineers are not always definitive.

The only way to make sure is to take all RAM sticks out, then put two back at a time and run Photoshop.  If you have actually done that, then fine, I must have missed that in your earlier posts.  But if you haven't done exactly what I've described, you simply cannot rule out bad or mismatched RAM.  It's that simple.

I'll go back and re-read the entire thread now.

• 20. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

This is what I found:

MuggeGHQ wrote:

I used the memtest for the memory testing and i had it running all night in 6 loops. Nothing.

Pfffft!  

• 21. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Hi Ramón

Ah alright. I forgot to menage that i did try all ram and then take out 2x 2GB blocks every time. (16GB total)

I got errors all the way to the last 2 blocks.

Only 1 thing i forgot to test was the last 2 blocks really.

As i said i got errors on all blocks tested from 8x 2GB blocks down to the last 2x 2GB blocks and

i never tried to change again the last 2x 2GB to some of the first blocks.

There is a small possibility that it was the last 2 blocks ofcause.

Will do that again soon to be 110% sure.

• 22. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

That's very wise, Mugge.

• 23. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Actually it looks like the first system log error i get before the one i'm writing about in this forum is this:

mugge Adobe Photoshop CS4[3251]: Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.

Then the long one comes a little later. ??

Could it be associated with the first one.

Thanks

• 24. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

and this error i also get sometimes.

SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for ALRT ID 132 (pBase = 0x25bb7680, p = 0x25bb768e, pEnd = 0x25bb7698)

Apr 20 10:52:56 mugge [0x0-0xdd0dd].com.adobe.Photoshop[4968]: SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for ALRT ID 129 (pBase = 0x25bb6cf0, p = 0x25bb6cfe, pEnd = 0x25bb6d08)

Apr 20 10:52:56 mugge [0x0-0xdd0dd].com.adobe.Photoshop[4968]: SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for DLOG ID 134 (pBase = 0x25bb7a10, p = 0x25bb7a46, pEnd = 0x25bb7a5e)

Apr 20 10:52:56 mugge [0x0-0xdd0dd].com.adobe.Photoshop[4968]: SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for DLOG ID 131 (pBase = 0x25bb7a70, p = 0x25bb7a88, pEnd = 0x25bb7aa0)

Apr 20 10:52:56 mugge [0x0-0xdd0dd].com.adobe.Photoshop[4968]: SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for ALRT ID 132 (pBase = 0x25bb77d0, p = 0x25bb77de, pEnd = 0x25bb77e8)

Apr 20 10:52:56 mugge [0x0-0xdd0dd].com.adobe.Photoshop[4968]: SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for ALRT ID 129 (pBase = 0x25bb7b30, p = 0x25bb7b3e, pEnd = 0x25bb7b48)

• 25. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

and this:

mugge [0x0-0x15015].com.adobe.Photoshop[187]: In order to dispatch events correctly Mac OS X may require applications to be run with the *full* path to the executable.

To many weird errors i think ?

Its funny. It dosent help to install from scratch...  It must be something with the settings in PS CS4 or the Memory it self.

I just did everything possible to test the memory blocks.

I really think it is a Photoshop thing somewhere...  Maybe the memory settings in PS preffrenses needs to be 100% exact

before it works good with 16GB on system memory ?

What is the default photoshop % settings for memory ?

Thanks everybody so far..

• 26. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

and this:

Apr 21 12:56:48 mugge [0x0-0x1f01f].com.adobe.Photoshop[362]: Qt: QApplication: Warning argv[0] == 'nnplugin' is relative.

Apr 21 12:56:48 mugge [0x0-0x1f01f].com.adobe.Photoshop[362]: In order to dispatch events correctly Mac OS X may require applications to be run with the *full* path to the executable.

Please read my last 3 post. All other log errors.

Maybe some of them goes in the same direction ??

• 27. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4
                                                              Chris Cox Adobe Employee

That sounds like  you're running a plugin that uses the Qt framework for their user interface.  (Photoshop does not use Qt, or natively generate any warnings like that)

You need to identify which plugin you are running when the error occurs, and report the problem to the plugin authors.

• 28. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Hi Chris.

Thx a lot for your replay. I guess your right. I think my Noise Ninja is the course ? i wonder why because it is a INTEL

plug-in or at least universal. I even used it for over a year and it just started to give me trouble now... Strange.

Gonna check one more time to be sure witch plug-in it is..

Thx again..

btw, i haven't found out yet why i get the long system log error. The one here:

And it is not stopping there. It keeps on for a long time and the system log file gets really big (in MB)

Alright. Thx for your help so far.

Regards

Mugge

• 29. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4
                                                                  Chris Cox Adobe Employee

The mmap error is either a third party plugin, or some system driver.

Photoshop does not use mmap.

Chris

• 30. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Hi Chris.

I'm so thankfull for you help here buddy. Been hard to find the reason.

I think your right about a plugin that makes trouble.

But when you say a system driver. Where are system drivers located that photoshop CS4 uses ?

I only know that plugins is inside the photoshop folder.. But system drivers for photoshop ?

What about the plugin " Bigger Tiles.plugin " i have 16GB of memory installed so sould

i have this active or not.

I did turn it off after all this error stuff started but wants to know if i gain anything using it.

Forgot to ask a third question. I ones turned off the message where photoshop tells you that a

non kompatible plugin is in use. Its was when PS just started op.

Is that possible to get back so i can see if there is any non kompatible plugins is in use ?

Thanks..

Mugge

• 31. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Now i get this system log error ?

Apr 29 14:45:02 mugge [0x0-0x32032].com.adobe.Photoshop[651]: *** error: can't allocate region

Apr 29 14:45:02 mugge [0x0-0x32032].com.adobe.Photoshop[651]: *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Apr 29 14:45:02 mugge [0x0-0x32032].com.adobe.Photoshop[651]: Adobe Photoshop CS4(651,0x6a73720) malloc: *** mmap(size=132911104) failed (error code=12)

Apr 29 14:45:02 mugge [0x0-0x32032].com.adobe.Photoshop[651]: *** error: can't allocate region

Apr 29 14:45:02 mugge [0x0-0x32032].com.adobe.Photoshop[651]: *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Apr 29 14:45:02 mugge [0x0-0x32032].com.adobe.Photoshop[651]: Adobe Photoshop CS4(651,0x6a73720) malloc: *** mmap(size=132911104) failed (error code=12)

and this from Bridge ???

Apr 29 16:35:45 mugge Adobe Bridge CS4[650]: Adobe Bridge CS4(650,0xb0e8f000) malloc: *** error for object 0x29777980: double free\n*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Apr 29 16:35:45 mugge Adobe Bridge CS4[650]: Adobe Bridge CS4(650,0xb0e8f000) malloc: *** error for object 0xcb73827b: Non-aligned pointer being freed\n*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Apr 29 16:35:45 mugge Adobe Bridge CS4[650]: Adobe Bridge CS4(650,0xb0e8f000) malloc: *** error for object 0x29777980: Non-aligned pointer being freed (2)\n*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Apr 29 16:35:45 mugge [0x0-0x31031].com.adobe.bridge3[650]: Adobe Bridge CS4(650,0xb0e8f000) malloc: *** error for object 0x29777980: double free

Apr 29 16:35:45 mugge [0x0-0x31031].com.adobe.bridge3[650]: *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Apr 29 16:35:45 mugge [0x0-0x31031].com.adobe.bridge3[650]: Adobe Bridge CS4(650,0xb0e8f000) malloc: *** error for object 0xcb73827b: Non-aligned pointer being freed

Apr 29 16:35:45 mugge [0x0-0x31031].com.adobe.bridge3[650]: *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Apr 29 16:35:45 mugge [0x0-0x31031].com.adobe.bridge3[650]: Adobe Bridge CS4(650,0xb0e8f000) malloc: *** error for object 0x29777980: Non-aligned pointer being freed (2)

Chris. also read my post just before this one plase.  thx

• 32. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4
                                                                        Chris Cox Adobe Employee

A system driver is part of the system: the operating system.

Yes, you've posted the mmap error several times now, you can stop posting that now.

I don't know about the Bridge error, but you might want to ask in the Bridge forum.

• 33. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Hi Chris.

Sorry about that.

Could any of my errors be linked to the memory settings in PS preferences ? I did read somewhere that when you have

a lot of memory installed in your computer (Mac) it can be necessary to adjust the memory settings right. Not 100% like

someone said was ok.

In the beginning i always had it set to 100% but after i installed more memory (now total of 16GB) the errors started..

I think !

• 34. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4
                                                                            Chris Cox Adobe Employee

I doubt it.

But a poorly written plugin might run into trouble when memory got tight.

Again, the mmap errors are probably coming from a third party plugin, or some part of the OS.

• 35. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Alright. The thing about a plugin is easy to follow op on. Just take all out and then put back

one by one until the error start...

But the system part is more difficult i guess ? it could be anyhting.

The only funny thing is.

I have a Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz with 4GB of memory and it runs 100% smooth. Everything rocks.

Then i made a clone of the hard drive and cloned back on my work Mac pro, and it was running

so great for a long time.

100% identical, same apps, PS plugins, everything.

But then i installed more memory. From 10GB to 16GB and all hell started  :( I did test the

memory many many times. I even send them back to the seller just to be sure. Worked.. np.

So you can understand why i have so much trouble locating what the problem could be.

One Mac running perfect, another dosent even with indentical setup ? Weird.

Everything else on the Mac pro runs so smooth, i never have a crash, stall or anything else.

Only now the photoshop error stuff... And i cant live without Photoshop.. lol

Chris... thanks for all your time.

• 36. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4
                                                                                mark-e-r

As a FYI. I have this same problem with two brand new Mac Pro's (10.5.7) Both Running new CS4 installs. Both came with 3 GB of RAM problem started immediatly, I replaced all ram on both systems, bumping them up to 8GB each. Problem persists. These are pretty much vanilla setups. I am sure it is a software setting or driver issue, I just thought I would let you know it is not isolated.

• 37. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4
                                                                                  Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

I would say try a setting of 80% maximum.

And perhaps this is hardware related and that the RAM that is defective could be that on your video card.

• 38. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Hi mark-e-r

Do you still have the problem ?

I'm just curios to know. I didn't fix my problem yet.

• 39. Re: Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Hi Wade_Zimmerman

And thanks for your suggestion.

I did try to swop my old Gefore that came with my Mac Pro back in.

Same thing when i have 16GB of Ram installed.

And all my memory blocks have been tested back where i bought them.

They all work as they should ?

1 2 Previous Next