• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Word File creates single topic, tons of bookmarks

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I am a fossilized RH user way back from X3, currently learning version 8. My dilemma is this:

• Need to create a simple HTML help file for an application, using a User Guide authored by a predecessor, in Word 2003.
  • I start RoboHelp HTML and select "Import Word File".
  • I do not convert the TOC, as I want to create one myself once I am in RH.
  • I don't edit any of the conversion settings either, I leave it as is.
  • When converted, the User Guide creates a single topic, which contains the entire User Guide. All the chapter and section headings are set as bookmarks instead of separate topics.
  • If I do a compile to HTML Help, the TOC will display the same as it was generated in RH, but I get a 404 error in the content pane, which is strange since everything is stored locally on my hard drive. Did I miss a step?

I am likely doing something wrong, and not remembering some step, but I figured this might be the best place to find out where I am going wrong as I attempt to master this newfangled RoboHelp version. Could it be the way my Word file is formatted? Or will I have to create my topics and manually do the copy/paste/re-format thing once it is imported, not saving me any time whatsoever....

Gah! Help!

signed,

~Descending into RoboH***

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Hi there

When you import from Word you have options to break the document into multiple topics based on consistent use of Heading styles. So you likely overlooked an option.

Instead of creating an entire project by importing, why not create an empty project, then import the Word document into that?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

When you import from Word you have options to break the document into multiple topics based on consistent use of Heading styles. So you likely overlooked an option.

Instead of creating an entire project by importing, why not create an empty project, then import the Word document into that?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

I imported once I had set up my "empty" project, and it worked much better. As I set up importing options, I mapped my heading styles over to RH styles instead of leaving them to map on their own.

In examining the styles used in the Word document, I think my problem arose from the styles being extremely prolific, and not being configured effectively to be imported. My documents (since coming on board) have been created with a much more strict style list (which I can amend now that I know the issues), so I think subsequent docs will be easier to map. (I hope!) *misses FrameMaker*

So hint to those out there with similar problems. Make your Word paragraph and character styles (Headings, etc) simple, robust, and easy to map when importing! Grief and hair-pulling will ensue if you do not. Garbage In, Garbage Out, right?

As for the content not displaying, I'll put that into a new topic, so that it can be addressed seperately. That I am still having trouble with...

Again, thank you. So far, my experience with RH version 8 has been a mix of excitement at having a new toy and trepidation at learning it all quickly.

~Ascended from RoboH***

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi again

So you finally absorbed my subtle hint in the first paragraph.

When you import from Word you have options to break the document into multiple topics based on consistent use of Heading styles.

Happy to see you have finally ascended! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp