• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you link an external file (*.pdf) within the Captivate file and have it work AFTER it has been Published?

Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can you link to a URL or file using the "click box"?  I can get it all set up, the link works perfectly on my machine, but when it is place on our Server for review, the Captivate file cannot find the referenced file.  It is still looking for the file on my machine.  I tried to use a "relative path" - but i still get the errors.  Please help if you can.  I am sure it is a simple step that I am forgetting - or never thought of..... Christime

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Normally all you need to do is specify the file name. No path or URL needed. Just the file name. After that, ensure the file exists in the same folder as the Captivate.

Note, however, that if your server is a UNIX type, it could be persnickety about the case. So if your file is actually named MyFile.PDF and when you typed the file name into the field you used myfile.pdf, it likely won't find it.

Further note that some file types will be some trouble. But before we go there, let's see if what has been offered so far helps anything.

Cheers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sooooooooo much for that info.  I will try that now.  I was wondering if i needed to do something along those lines.  I remember the old days of DOS and the relative path thing.

Will let you know how it worked.

Thanks again....   Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works!!!  All the files pop open - no problem.

Now i have to work on the links to our URL  [https:// ]

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2009 Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue, but I'm publishing the files and writing them onto a CD. When I publish them as a swf format, the files (located in the same folder, or the cd) open up. But when I publish it as a exe, then only links to internet sites work, but not for files located on the disk. They open up in the browser as an html link, instead of opening up as a pdf or a word document. How do I fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trolling through the forums and I found the Menu Wizard suggestion helped me fix the issue.

I also had an issue with the auto run, but after removing the spaces in the project and the auto run file, it worked!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 22, 2009 Jul 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What do you mean by Menu wizard suggestion?

I face exactly the same problem - When clicking links to pdf documents in my .exe, the IE (instead of Adobe Reader) opens and reports an error.

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Take a peek at the link below fo an explanation.

Click here

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Okay, that link I gave you was for one specific situation. I may have misunderstood. So please click the link below for what is probably closer to your situation.

Click here

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 29, 2009 Jul 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Great link, it helped a lot! Problem is solved now!

Thank YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 27, 2009 Aug 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Captivate 4 and I am still unable to click on the file after I have done the  steps listed above.I have tried entering the Path name as well as the document file name. The path name works but it points to my C drive and will not display once tested on another machine. the file name (pdf doc)  does not work and it is in the Captivate folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Linking to PDF and DOC files can be tricky to do. Most everyone has resolved it by following what you say you have already tried.

If you are seeing that the link is attempting to open something pathed to your local C drive it means you have created an absolute link. Likely by simply browsing to the file instead of just typing the file name of the document into the field.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your timely response. upon publishing the project I get a message that states "the files projects listed are linked to the open project.The linked files may require exporting.

Although the ms word doc and pdfs are located in the folder should I export all of my word or pdf docs separetly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

I'm not sure what you mean with this. The dialog is quite simply saying this:

You have created a Captivate movie. You told me to place the movie in Folder X. You have linked to a Word or PDF document. I did not copy the Word or PDF document to the folder for you. You need to ensure that you copy the file(s) to the folder as a separate operation if you want the links to work.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you found the fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't think it's Linux - they are HP Servers -.  This course is just a low-end course and i am placing ALL the files in the ROOT directory.  Bad design, but i had a time issue.  The PDFs are generated by us and just placed out in the ROOT for the Captivate SWF file to reference.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris

Your post isn't clear on the question of whether you are now up and running or not.

Things working now?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Still changing the paths to just the file names.  Alot of links!!!  But i am sure that was the problem.

Also, another issue is that it will be on a Secure Server.  [ https://   ] and it seems that the links to our intranet don't work.  is that because of our Firewalls?

Thanks.... Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2009 Apr 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem as well.  My links to documents, URLs, etc do not work at all after publishing.  I have tried the suggestions below and still they do not work.  I tried extending the path as well as the simple format.   Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

"Not working" can mean a varitey of things. Can you please elaborate?

Do you click the links and a browser opens, but refuses to display the linked item?

Do you click the links and nothing whatsoever happens?

Do you click the links an see an error message?

Where is the Captivate movie you are testing from? Local PC? Web Server? Network Server? Where will it be ultimately?

Did you ensure the linked item is in the same folder as the Captivate movie?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding.

See my comments below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i click on the links within the Captivate Movie, NOTHING opens!  I even tried to have my browser open hoping that the link would 'find its way' to the site.  No error message at all.

I am testing the file on my Local PC - Government Server???  I cannot even link to Google or other sites that i normally can go to directly from my PC.

Example:  Link:   www.google.com

Thanks....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christine

In your case I'm guessing that following the steps outlined in the link below will help.

Click here

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources