• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing Directory/Folder Names to Lowercase in RH 8?

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using RH 8 on Windows XP Professional

I need to publish my RoboHelp project to an Apache server.  Some of my directory/folder names have capital letters in them, which wasn't a problem with RH 5.  My project always worked on the server despite that.  However, when I publish with RH 8, pages and images inside directories with any capital letters in their names won't show up. However, if on the server I manually change the directory names to all lowercase, these pages and images show up. Now, I just need to be able to publish this way from RoboHelp, which is my problem.

Here is everything I've tried.  If you have suggestions on what else I could try, please help.

Every time I published the project, I checked the "Use Lowercase File Names (Recommended for UNIX)" option, but this only changes the html file names not the directory names.

In RoboHelp's Project Manager area, when I renamed the directories to lowercase letters, they immediately went back to the capitalization that had previously.

Then I tried closing RH and renaming the directories to lowercase in a Windows Explorer window.  However, when I open the project back up in RoboHelp, these directories show up with capitalization again...even though the source directories have been renamed with lowercase letters.

After that, I tried deleting the .cpd file (with RoboHelp closed of course) because I had seen from other forum posts that this fixes a variety of problems. When I re-launched RH, I still have the same problem with the directories showing up with caps.

If I try to republish with all of the directories on the server in lowercase, RoboHelp either creates a new directory for the capitalized folders (can reside side by side with the lowercase folder of same name on an Apache server) and puts the contents inside it or it dumps it's contents at the top-level directory of the project.  For example, if my folder says "Papers" in RoboHelp and I already have a folder named "papers" on the server, I'd have two folders, "Papers" and "papers", on the server when RoboHelp finished publishing.

I tried deleting all the files on my server and re-publishling in the off chance RoboHelp would magically publish the directories in lowercase.  Of course, this didn't work, but I was getting to the point that I'd try anything.

Again, any suggestions you have on what would work would be hugely appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Try a two step rename.

Change from DirecTory to DirecTory1.

Then change from DirecTory1 to directory.

Note that you need to first change the actual NAME in order for it to take.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick.

Part of that worked.  The two-step folder rename worked like a charm to get RoboHelp to recognize the lowercase names.

However, when I publish my project, it reverts back to the uppercase versions of the folder names and publishes them that way.  I deleted all of the files on my server before publishing.

I tried deleting the .cpd file again, re-launching RH, and re-publishing (deleted server files beforehand), but that didn't make a difference. Like I said before, I don't know what this .cpd deletion does, but I did notice it fixed a lot of different problems in other forum posts.

Do you have any additional suggestions on how to get it to publish with the new directory names?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I can't help but to notice you said you deleted the files from the server. You didn't say folders too.

About the only other thing I can think of is to try renaming yet again to something like folder1 so the names are actually different. Then push that to the server and see if it mysteriously shifts to mixed case.

Frankly, I'm surprised it failed to work straight off. But you never know sometimes when dealing with servers.

CPD is a Cache Project Database. Most of your project files are now in an XML format. Those files used to only reside in the CPD and instead of CPD the extension was MPJ. This is a Microsoft Access Database file using a custom file extension. Just making an educated guess here, but I suspect it's primary purpose these days is to provide an easy means of reporting on the project.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, Rick,

Just to clarify, I did delete both the folders and files off the server.

I'll try the publishing different file names to the server and will report the results.

All the best,

Betsy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope you aren't renaming anything but folders!

Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops!  Yes, just folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured out this problem, but I'm not positive on how it was resolved.  I had published my project with the "Use Lowercase File Names (Recommended for UNIX)" option selected.  However, this wasn't changing the directory names to lowercase letters, and that was causing problems on my Apache server.

When I deleted all the project files and folders on my server and re-published my project without this option selected, I still had problems.  Some of the internal links inside my project had not been converted back to lowercase and uppercase letters to match my directory structure (some were still showing up as all lowercase letters).  However, some had been converted back to mixed case, so some of the links in my published project worked and some didn't.

Luckily, everyday I was making a backup copy of my project because I was having troubleshooting this problem.  I was able to go back to a version of the project before I had published the project with the "Use Lowercase File Names (Recommended for UNIX)" option checked.  Once I did that, deleted all my project files/folders from the server, and re-published, everything worked fine. It's very odd how all of this panned out, but I'm so glad it's resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp