Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDFs Not Openning in Search Results?

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 8 on Windows XP Professional, publishing project to an Apache server

We just upgraded to RH 8, and I love that PDF documents show up in the search results now.  However, if I click on a PDF in the results, I get a message saying that it's not found.

I have a baggage file for all of the PDFs that I'm referring to, and the PDFs do open when linked from other pages or if entering their URLs in the address bar.  All I can think of is normally when I link to PDFs, I open them in a new window. Whereas, this search function is trying to open them in the main project window.  I don't think this should make a difference, but I thought I would mention it just in case.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for fixing this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Betsy

Sorry, no bright suggestions for fixing it or working around it. At least not yet.

So this begs the question of why am I posting, huh?

Well, it's to encourage you to consider reporting this to Adobe as a potential bug!

Click here to report a bug.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it the same when you test the generated help locally and when the help is published to the server?

It doesn't seem logical that one would work in one location and both in another but stranger things have happened.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

When I publish locally, the PDFs work, but on my Apache server, they don't.

Thanks,

Betsy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2009 Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it should make a difference but check that you don't have Mark of the Web selected when you generate and publish.

If that is not it, there is only one other thing I can think of. Some time back there was a report of the TOC not opening and that turned out to be because certain file types had not been configured on the server. See Snippet 57 on my site. I wonder if it could be something like that. Not sure, not my territory.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured out what the problem was.  During project generation, I had checked the "Use Lowercase File Names (Recommended for UNIX)" option.  However, this did not change the capitalization in my baggage files, which were titled with uppercase and lowercase letters.  When the search results showed PDFs, it was trying to link to files with the uppercase letters.  However, the pdf file names were all lowercase letters.  When pages in my project had links to the PDFs, these links had been converted to all lowercase letters, so the PDFs would open in this situation because that's how the PDF files were named. The Apache server I was publishing to externally is very sensitive to capital letters, and the ISS (or is it IIS?) server I use internally is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp