• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error: "Document can't be opened on this machine"

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two ebooks that I bought from amazon.com in 2003 and 2005 that won't open after reinstalling everything on my laptop. I used my adobe ID to set up Digital Editions, but it gives the error: "This document can't be opened on this machine. Please contact the site where you obtained the document to download another copy."

I contacted amazon.com and they say that they only promised to have the ebook available for download for 60 days.

I sent a message to Adobe support last week about the problem and haven't received a reply yet.

Why would these ebooks be readable for over 5 years and not be readable now? It seems that Adobe's ebook DRM is broken here and I'm not getting a solution from anyone. From what I read on the net, I'm not the only one having this problem with Digital Editions.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2009 Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just found this information about ebook usage from the publisher of one of my ebooks that I bought in 2003 from amazon.com that now doesn't open in Digital Editions.

"Usage Rights for Wiley Adobe E-Books

Any Wiley e-book you purchase will come with certain restrictions that allow Wiley to protect the copyrights of its products.   After you purchase this Wiley Adobe E-Book title, you:

• May use the provided link to download the file up to 4 times onto different computers. This link is accessible in the My Account section of this website or from the original e-mail.
    • Must download it within 14 days of purchase
    • May not move the file to a different computer
    • May not lend, sell or give the e-book to another user
    • May not copy the e-book file
    • May copy/paste anything up to a page of text, 10 pages total, every 7 days
    • May not copy/paste diagrams, figures, or artwork
    • May annotate text in e-book"

The first bullet contains a restriction that limits the use of an ebook to approximately 5 to10 years given the 3 to 5 year life of a PC and the biannual frequency that I've had to reinstall Windows from a reformatted disk to correct problems.

I don't remember being told this in 2003 when I bought the book from amazon.com. If it was added since that that time, then it is a change of our sales agreement and I don't believe that it can be done after the fact.

Basically, I would never have bought an ebook with a life of 5 to 10 years and now that I know that this is the publisher's usage policy I will never buy another Adobe ebook. It the equivalent of buying a printed book with vanishing ink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines