Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Render before Export?

Apr 10, 2009 Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All:

Just a concept I don't quite get.

I see I can play the sequence in the composition window, save the file, and export the file.

Also, I see after Rendering, the video "distorted in size, etc.", why would this happen?  I did set the sequence setting same as the imported clip...

Then, what is the benefit that I render (by pressing Enter) first before I export?

Thanks,

Franco

TOPICS
Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 10, 2009 Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not necesary to render a preview before exporting.

On a fast computer Pr can often preview your project without rendering very well.

But, if you add several effects to a clip, it sometimes will not preview well (very slow or jerky).  In that case, in order to see how you project works you may render a preview so it plays smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2009 Apr 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see after Rendering, the video "distorted in size, etc.", why would this happen?

It shouldn't.  What are your media properties and sequence settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Then, what is the benefit that I render (by pressing Enter) first before I export?"

If you have rendered a complex editing job and then check "Use Preview Files" it can make an appreciable difference in the render time.  I had an extremely bad lighting situation on over an hour-long two-camera shoot that required alot of color correction.  It took 6 hours and 14 minutes to render to MPEG2-DVD without the preview files and only 42 minutes with the preview files!  And this was with 8-cores.  Of course there is a debate as to whether the end result with preview files is as good as without using them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have rendered a complex editing job and then check "Use Preview Files" it can make an appreciable difference in the render time.

I wonder if that is true. What is the difference in time when you compare the preview rendering plus the final rendering in comparison to only final rendering?

Put it another way, if you have a dozen oranges and decide you want to press three to see how the orange juice looks (preview render) and later decide to press the remaining 9 oranges as well (final render), would that be any faster than simply pressing all 12 oranges for final render?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm, I was not advocating rendering to decrease the total time.  Only if you have to render to "proof" you editing is it really worthwhile using the preview files.  In that specific case I did some of the timeline rendering while editing for myself and then did the rest as I wanted to show the best edited full high definition preview to someone before I cut it back a lower resolution on a DVD disc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is Render in Premier a different beast then in After Effects? That has got me confused and got me looking for answers her.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Embin89  wrote

Why is Render in Premier a different beast then in After Effects? That has got me confused and got me looking for answers her.

Because two different teams created the applications.

Rendering in Premiere Pro means to create Preview Files.

Rendering in After Effects means to export a file (what would be called Exporting in Premiere Pro).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines